You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity File Format

Would be cool to have the option to embed/save fonts into an Affinity document, as well as load said fonts within Affinity apps and across all platforms. This would ease a MAJOR sore point in visual design/creative apps, which is the nagging issue of fonts. Font files are neglegible in size, and the format already supports robust cutting edge features like saving Undo History. If Affinity can remove this sore spot, it would be yet another leapfrog over the Adoblo™ hegemonic frankenstein-behemoth...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

CorelDRAW can so this. Never have used that feature.

I like Adobe's implementation of a folder named "Document fonts" without the quotes. If such a folder name is in the folder containing say an InDesign file and the fonts used are in that folder, InDesign loads those fonts temporarily when rhe document is opened and unloads them when the document is closed.

The folder is automatically created (and one for the other assets) when the document is packaged. This gathers everything required for that publication in one folder structure. It's a great system.

Mike

That's a great implementation for InDesign/Publisher. But for Designer/Illustrator, where we often like to send just ONE file (including embedded image assets), being able to also throw in the font within the file format would also be cool... 

CorelDRAW can so this. Never have used that feature.

I like Adobe's implementation of a folder named "Document fonts" without the quotes. If such a folder name is in the folder containing say an InDesign file and the fonts used are in that folder, InDesign loads those fonts temporarily when rhe document is opened and unloads them when the document is closed.

The folder is automatically created (and one for the other assets) when the document is packaged. This gathers everything required for that publication in one folder structure. It's a great system.

Mike

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

That's a great implementation for InDesign/Publisher. But for Designer/Illustrator, where we often like to send just ONE file (including embedded image assets), being able to also throw in the font within the file format would also be cool... 

The ability to embedding fonts would be cool, but there could be thorny legal issues to resolve because of the various copyright restrictions placed on many fonts. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a copyright attorney, but I do know Adobe Indesign let's you "package" font files for delivery to clients/press, so it's not necessarily an issue... but again, that's something for the attorneys to discuss; however, from a UX perspective, having embedded fonts in the master file is a NO brainer, SPECIALLY if Affinity apps Automatically open and close the fonts; I'd love to see a Font Manager persona, but that's perhaps a version 3.0 feature, haha!

On 7/6/2017 at 5:25 AM, R C-R said:

The ability to embedding fonts would be cool, but there could be thorny legal issues to resolve because of the various copyright restrictions placed on many fonts. 

Adobe's package with the fonts still requires the recipient to also have licensed copies of those same fonts. The point of supplying the fonts is just in case there would be reflow issues by using different versions of the same font.

Mike 

No, they're identical copies of the fonts. And the user doesn't have to have them... at least not when I was using the software up until CC madness started...

Adobe licensing only applies to Adobe fonts. Their license is explicit as regards the package command and has remained unchanged in that regard since the package command was introduced. 

As always, there is a dialog that tells the user the end recipient needs a license, or something to that effect. I have CS5 through CS6 installed and they say the same thing. 

I could point you to the Adobe help page about this if I thought you were incapable of looking for yourself. 

ronnyb, did you read the Adobe Font Embedding Permissions article I linked to in my earlier post, or the Additional License Rights one  that it links to?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7