You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It became too unaffordable to maintain my Adobe CC subscription, but before I buy any product to replace it, I need to know if my old files will work with it.

Chiefly I wanted to know if I can use Affinity Photo to read and at least convert if not edit the DNG file format that Adobe Photoshop Lightroom uses?

Thanks,

Richard

Yup!  AP certainly opens DNG files - just finished editing one.

Opens up in a RAW window which is strongly reminiscent of the Photoshop window the DNGs open in - although, the first time I did it, with a PC i7 and SSD, it took a nailbiting five seconds ... just long enough for you to think it wasn't going to happen.   Look in the top RH corner for progress in loading.

Click on the Develop button and it can then be saved as an .afphoto file or exported in all the formats that AP offer.

Hope this helps.

Editing DNG files is no problem but previewing them might be - the previewing is handled by the OS, rather than the application.  If I remember correctly, LR handles everything internally, so you might need to install a codec.  My favourite is the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack - it's very fast, handles lots of formats and it's only $9.99. 

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

In fact, if you are running Windows 10, file explorer does support .DNG files, BUT I have long found it an irritation that it doesn't support .PSD files.  Very odd, one not the other.  I also, on occasions, use an old Sigma 10 with produces unsupported .X3Fa, so thanks, IanSG.

I have tried out the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack and all my problems are solved!

Great tip.

Thanks again.

In fact, if you are running Windows 10, file explorer does support .DNG files, 

That's interesting - my understanding was that there was no native support for DNG (it didn't work for me), and the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack didn't work.  Did you upgrade to 10 with a codec already in place?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

<clang>  You are quite right.  When I had been looking for some means of previewing psd and dng files a while ago. I had installed another third party search engine codecs.

It was not up to much and I forgot to uninstall it.  I did wonder why DNG was supported and not PSD.   :rolleyes:

Ah well - all is explained.

Yours in a hair shirt, etc.

Yup!  AP certainly opens DNG files - just finished editing one.

Opens up in a RAW window which is strongly reminiscent of the Photoshop window the DNGs open in - although, the first time I did it, with a PC i7 and SSD, it took a nailbiting five seconds ... just long enough for you to think it wasn't going to happen.   Look in the top RH corner for progress in loading.

Click on the Develop button and it can then be saved as an .afphoto file or exported in all the formats that AP offer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

<clang>  You are quite right.  When I had been looking for some means of previewing psd and dng files a while ago. I had installed another third party search engine codecs.

It was not up to much and I forgot to uninstall it.  I did wonder why DNG was supported and not PSD.   :rolleyes:

Ah well - all is explained.

Yours in a hair shirt, etc.

I had similar experience on my Mac, it is the 3rd party software support that makes it so the file system can show you a preview for .DNG files and .PSD files.

Thanks again for the tip... gonna buy it now  :D