Hi Team Serif & everyone on the forums.

As per a request from @macfinity on Twitter, here are three files to illustrate my import issue.

The RAW is 4:3 but as the screenshot shows, after import from iOS photos, the RAW is being rendered as 3:2 - only thing I can think of, is that I shoot in 3:2 and this has somehow affected the import into Affinity for iPad, but it's not happening in the photos app, so your guesses are as good as mine.

Any help as to what's amiss would be appreciated, as having to boot up the MacBook is a link in the workflow I do not want in the field.

Thanks in advance... M

ADDITIONALLY: I'm getting the message "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file" with regards to the .orf RAW

Olympus OMD EM1 Mi .orf RAWpost-14972-0-71421500-1499190699_thumb.pngpost-14972-0-69329900-1499190715_thumb.png

post-14972-0-38420900-1499191365_thumb.png

post-14972-0-55892000-1499191382_thumb.png

Hi BeardLAM,

This isn't a fault with Affinity, but more of how Apple deal with RAW files. The Apple Photos app will always show the JPG preview embedded in a RAW, however when we import we use the Apple RAW Engine - this then imports and crops the RAW data to the dimensions that were given (3:2 seeing as you are shooting in that). If I open the RAW file up in both Photoshop Camera RAW and the Preview app on the Mac it also shows the cropped image.

On Mac we have the flexibility of choosing to use our own RAW engine or Apple's Core Image RAW (as used on iPad). With our own engine we do not crop to the dimensions given and show the full amount of data, however the Apple one will crop it.

Thanks for clarifying guys, as I wasn't sure if it was the metadata 'tricking' the software or not.

Would Team Serif consider using their own RAW engine on iPad in future? Or if I understand correctly, this is another Apple 'no no'?

The only other solution, I can offer as an idea in its owns right, is to provide functionality in AP for iPad that allows the metadata to be edited?

Either way, thank you for your help.

Regards... M

Hi Team Serif, I've recently downloaded another photo editor for iOS that allows editing of RAW.

There's been no crop, so I'm assuming you'll need to scratch your heads over this again.

Hi Team Serif, I've recently downloaded another photo editor for iOS that allows editing of RAW.

There's been no crop, so I'm assuming you'll need to scratch your heads over this again.

Which app is it?

On 09/07/2017 at 10:24 AM, BeardLAM said:

Enlight Photofox.

I've included a screenshot of the RAW after being imported.

post-14972-0-81317000-1499592258_thumb.png

This app could be using its own RAW engine and not Apple's Core Image engine. AFAIK, we currently have no plans to add our own RAW engine to the iPad app.