You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW being cropped after import

Hi Team Serif & everyone on the forums.

As per a request from @macfinity on Twitter, here are three files to illustrate my import issue.

The RAW is 4:3 but as the screenshot shows, after import from iOS photos, the RAW is being rendered as 3:2 - only thing I can think of, is that I shoot in 3:2 and this has somehow affected the import into Affinity for iPad, but it's not happening in the photos app, so your guesses are as good as mine.

Any help as to what's amiss would be appreciated, as having to boot up the MacBook is a link in the workflow I do not want in the field.

Thanks in advance... M

ADDITIONALLY: I'm getting the message "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file" with regards to the .orf RAW

Olympus OMD EM1 Mi .orf RAWpost-14972-0-71421500-1499190699_thumb.pngpost-14972-0-69329900-1499190715_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the image you see in the Camera Roll is just a jpg preview stored in the RAW file. Few apps on iOS shows the actual RAW images (attached is an example).

That jpg includes any post modification made on the RAW file (e.g. cropping by your camera software) while the actual RAW file remains as natively shot.

My guess is that your camera shoots 3:2 natively (max sensor coverage) and just apply the 4:3 cropping afterwards without modifying the RAW file (storing the metadata in a separate file in the camera folder, or perhaps embedded in its own slang). Hence when the RAW file is handled by Affinity, it wouldn't know about ulterior modification made by the camera software.

5CD2B117-393B-4F93-A4D0-2ABD9E52B337.MOV

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.