You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lost Access to Photos Libraries

Unless I'm mistaken, the MAS version of Affinity Photo for iPad (and all the previous betas) allowed me to access all of my Photos libraries when I used the "Open From Photos" option to create a New Document. In the current beta, however, I cannot.

More to the point - my iPad Photos library has numerous albums created automatically by the app. These include albums like "Camera Roll," "Panoramas," and "Recently Added." I can open any image that is found within these albums. BUT - I typically have many other albums on my iPad which are created by syncing photos from my desktop Mac using iTunes. (NB - I do not use the iCloud Sync option with photos, mostly for privacy reasons but also because I do not use Apple Photos on my Mac for virtually anything.) Primarily, I like to have these photos available since they make them portable and I can share them with others when I am away from home. In all previous iterations of Affinity Photo for iPad, I could access these albums when opening a new document. In the most recent Beta 5, however, I can no longer do this.

Sure, I can open the photo directly from the Apple Photos app, copy it, paste it into a new document in Affinity, and choose Clip Canvas. But that's awfully clunky, and it bugs me more than a little that an option I had previously now seems to have been lost. I am hoping that this is not "by design."

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Good morning MEB (or, good evening - in Portugal, that is)...

Here is a screenshot from Beta 5 when I try to open a photo using the "Open from Photos" option:

post-12953-0-35593100-1499191089_thumb.jpg

The Favorites, Selfies, and Screenshots are empty, since there is nothing in them on my iPad. But there is NO "All Photos" choice. I'm pretty certain that choice was there in previous Betas.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Never enabled it, and don't want it enabled. As I mentioned, I don't want to keep my photo library in the cloud.

I have the same issue and the workaround with iCloud is not acceptable for me. In previous versions of the app I was able to access the local folder with pictures synchronised via ITunes.

Is this behaviour wanted or will the access come back in future versions?

• Staff

I have the same issue and the workaround with iCloud is not acceptable for me. In previous versions of the app I was able to access the local folder with pictures synchronised via ITunes.

Is this behaviour wanted or will the access come back in future versions?

It will return in the next released. It looked like it was missed moving to the new photo library.

It will return in the next released. It looked like it was missed moving to the new photo library.

That's good to hear! I mostly use this feature to work with photos which I imported by using the camera connection kit (which allows a pretty smooth jpeg-workflow i.m.o.)

Thank you, Andrew!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.