You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have received from PermaJet a printer profile but their accompanying information deals only with Photoshop and I have so far failed to import said profile into Affinity Photo. PermaJet cannot help as they only have experience with Photoshop.

From the AP print menu I can locate the printer profile box but how to I get the new permajet printer profile to figure amongst the options offered?

I am totally incompetent in matters relating to computers and it may well be a simple operation but so far it has proved beyond me. Can you help please?

mlplatt

• Staff

Hi mlplatt,

Can you please let me know what are you wanting to do with the profile as these profiles are normally ICC profiles which are installed directly into the Operating system and then Affinity references these from this location.

Hi DWright,

Thank you for your reply,

I am trying to obtain as true as possible a reproduction of the colour of the print to that displayed on the monitor. To that end I have calibrated the monitor and obtained from PermaJet an ICC colour profile for their paper. 

PermaJet have sent me Instructions on how to install and use this profile but the information does not relate to Windows 10 which I have nor does it apply to other than Adobe Photoshop. I have queried this with them and have been told that they cannot help as they only have experience of the latter.   As to Windows 10 they inform me that the profile will install automatically although they do not indicate where.

I attach these instructions

There is presumably a way of doing this for Affinity but being terminally incompetent I have not worked out what it is.

Regards,

mlplatt

PermaJet Custom Profiling Instructions & Order Form 2016.pdf

There are instructions how to install printer icc profiles for example here: http://www.redrivercatalog.com/profiles/how_to_install_ICC_color_profiles.html

(actually I googled "how to install printer icc profiles")

Profile should be selectable in AP print dialog after install. You may have to go Color matching > ColorSync > Profile: Other Profiles... to get the full list of available profiles. I am using Mac so thing may be a bit different in the winside.

• Staff

Once the  ICC profile has been installed you can then select the profile by going to Edit > Preferences > Colour as shown in the attached screen shot.

When you print you can select the ICC profile by going to the Colour Management option in the print dialogue screen

post-25202-0-80329300-1499853705_thumb.png

Once the  ICC profile has been installed you can then select the profile by going to Edit > Preferences > Colour as shown in the attached screen shot.

When you print you can select the ICC profile by going to the Colour Management option in the print dialogue screen

Paper profiles are only for printing. They should not be selected in colour preferences panel as colour preferences handles only working colour spaces.

From what little I read, the application has to be able to be set like PS can. That is, no color management and that the printer handles it. Don't think Affinity products can do that.

As Fixx mentioned, for Macs the print settings, including the color management ones, are set in the system level print dialog, so as long as the app uses system level print API's (which the Mac Affinity apps do) that is where you set them.

The options vary depending on the printer driver installed, but somewhere in the larger print dialog window revealed by clicking the "Details" button there will be color management options.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks everyone. I have been away so sorry for the delay in replying. I am still rather confused so please bear with me.

DWright - thanks. I Where do I install the ICC profile. What I have been doing is going to File>Print>Colour Management and under Printer Profile there is a range ot options. What I would like to know is whether I can get my colour profile included in this list and if so how do I do it. I have looked at the thumbnail you gave but I am unsure which of the profiles mentioned relates specifically to the printer.

Fixx - Thanks. The link you gave applies, as did the original PermaJet one, to PhotoShop. Being quite incompetent I need guidance for the Affinity process.

MikeW -Thanks. Can any one confirm that I am wasting my time as it is not possible to instlal a new Printer profile in Affinity?

R C- Thanks. You overestimate my intelligence. I don't really know what System level APl's are. or even if Windows 10 has them.

• Staff

To install the ICC profile Right click on the profile in Windows Explorer and click Install profile or copy the .icc profile to C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color and then the profile will now appear the Colour Management list

DWright - Actually It isn't quite. Again my incompetence shows. I have found the profile and can click on it and it shows in the Printer Profile Box. However as soon as I click on 'OK' it disappears and the box reverts to the original profile. How can I persuade it to change with a degree of permanence?

PS to tje above. I have just noticed that the printer in the \Printer box above Colour Management now appears as Microsoft XPS Document Writer. The options do not include the Epson Printer although I believer that they originally did.

I have sorted the Printer problem. Sorry for the hiccup. Yesterday I downloaded major Windows Update which has messed up a lot of processes. I still need advice though on how to permanently change the profile in the Printer Profile Box.