You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I know Serif is trying their best to keep their products up to date. It's just, it's already July and there is still no official Version 1.6 - and Publisher.

If you can't make it in 2017, then please just change your statement on you homepage about Publisher beeing released as beta in 2017.

It is driving me nuts. And not only me - for sure.

How about changing the statement - just to take some pressure off.

2 Months ago you could read, that Serif was planning to release a beta (Publisher) in the 2. quarter. Meanwhile, they say just 2017. I'm just saying that between beta and official release are at least several months.

I can wait - no problem with that. It's just everyone is speculating about a possible release. Why not just take off some pressure (for the Team behind Serif) while not giving some room for speculation for anyone. The day you secretly announce your new product could be a better surprise-effect^^  

Well, you know what Robert Burns said about the best-laid plans of mice and men ....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I agree that better surprise is when you are announcing release date shortly before release date. Pixologic is doing it with ZBrush. They are known for looooooong time between releases, but when they do release something new its a bomb. Other way is making it the Blender way - everybody knows exactly whats coming, where we are development wise, where we are going. Full transparency and great information at any given time. What I really do not like is constant "its on the roadmap" answer. It means nothing - some things are on road-map since 2014 and three YEARS later are not touched. Better don't say anything instead of giving false sense of hope for near future. People will still keep on asking, sure. But not giving them details at least will not turn to disappointment when the time of release comes

What I really do not like is constant "its on the roadmap" answer. It means nothing - some things are on road-map since 2014 and three YEARS later are not touched.

It means nothing in terms of the projected release timescale, but it does at least tell us that the feature is intended to be added in a free update rather than users having to purchase a new version in order to be able to use it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

What I really do not like is constant "its on the roadmap" answer. It means nothing - some things are on road-map since 2014 and three YEARS later are not touched.

1. What Alfred said.

2. Just because they have not made it to a beta or release version yet does not mean the mentioned features have not been "touched."

It is not as simple as just developing some new feature & dropping it into the apps. That could be done easily for some features at the expense of significantly compromising performance, which I doubt anybody would like. Every feature added must be compatible with the existing ones; ensuring that can require modifying the core code, UI, dynamic libraries, & even the file format, plus debugging all of it to keep the app from becoming unusably unstable.

Users never see all this "under the hood" work but they would be extremely unhappy if it was not done as throughly & completely as possible. Even if the developers shared that information, few users would understand what it meant, adding more fuel to the "means nothing" fire, so to speak.

Also consider that they are trying to maintain feature compatibility for both the two Affinity apps already released & the ones planned for the future, & to do that across multiple hardware platforms. I don't think anybody else has ever tried for that, not even Adobe.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

they "...oft go awry."

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I owe you explanation I suppose. I fully support Affinity - I wouldn't moved from Adobe to Affinity 100%, converting old files, risking incompatibility if I didn't liked, believed in and supported the software. Yesterday was just one of those days... Frustrated the hell out of me - I had to jump through loops and hoops to finish quite simple job. I know solutions are coming and I know it takes time and isn't easy. Just it isn't exactly a pleasure not being able to to do something, jumping between software's with deadline approaching. But it was my decision to switch whole workflow. Not a tragedy, just one of those days.

@R C-R Let me explain what I mean by "means nothing". First of all -  I dont doubt people are working on improving the software and I dont think its easy. However, when I am looking for solution of a problem and as response I am getting answer that it will be there ONE DAY - it means nothing. It really is. There is no substantial information in the statement that devs are having it in mind and will work on it one day. What can I do with that info really?  It is empty and means nothing. I am not being judgemental or negative here - just stating simple fact. Imagine you would get same info about package you are waiting for, which contains something very important to your present job. "Our people are working on it, keep in mind that its really long distance and its not easy to get to you, but we have in mind you need it and we will get to you eventually! When? Well, we dont know". How helpful is that? Means nothing.

@nezumi, what it means is the feature is not available now, there is no promise of it being added by any specific date, & you should plan accordingly. For at least some of us, this is useful, substantive information.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

nezumi,

You are a relatively new user here. If you have followed the app development from an early date you would know that the features listed on the roadmap were added to the app. The actual list only have a couple of items there because the ones that were already implemented were removed from it. So now it only contains the remaining items which should be added until v2.0. So i don't think it's fair to say it means nothing.

Guys, its not personal. Its not that I say "you will not finally add those options". I believe you will. Since I bought it there were two updates already. If I didn't believe in it I would just come back to Adobe, wouldn't I? And I am not.

Thing is - you have a list but there is no order and timescale. I cant say "in 1.6 there will be bitmap tracing! Fantastic, cant wait!". I cant say "two more versions and it will be there, cool!". All I know is that you are planning to add it. Someday. How is that "useful, substantive information" R C-R? Would you take the job if client told you "You can be sure you will get paid! You can ask anybody around - we always pay what we said we will! When? In the future, of course, not sure when"? Or MEB - would you give the job to somebody if he said he will definitely do whats expected of him, but in unspecified time?

Talking about information - in Photo roadmap you have "Levels improvements". I looked for the explanation what you mean by this - one person asked in the roadmap thread and it was never explained. So in unspecified time I will get unspecified update...

But hey, its your software - do as you pleased. I like it a lot as it is and surely I will like it more with more features that are to come. You have been very responsive - WAY more then Adobe and I said it many times already. Whats more . I have convinced at least two persons to completely switch to Affinity and we are doing ok, sharing workarounds :). That doesn't mean I will not share my honest opinion with you guys when something not so positive appears. Have a good one - no hard feelings!

Talking about information - in Photo roadmap you have "Levels improvements". I looked for the explanation what you mean by this - one person asked in the roadmap thread and it was never explained.

That's a fair point. Another feature which has been announced but never explained is the Looks persona: there have been a couple of threads asking about it in the past few months.

Alfred spacer.png

I have waited few days hoping for some info about that "levels improvements" and "looks persona", but looks like we have reached a delicate point in this discussion ;)

Or a delicate level, perhaps? :P

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...