You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey Affinity team, not sure if this has been asked for yet but it would be great to have a list of recent files show up in the welcome splash screen when first opening up the app for quick access to the last few files you were working on. I know it's in the "File > Open Recent" menu already but having it in the splash would be a bit more convenient.

Blender does this and it's very handy!  See attached.

Cheers!

post-305-0-53374100-1422330161_thumb.jpg

Thats a great usability improvement, @retrograde... it would be cool if the banner image at the top was actually an automated slideshow of the recent files....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

A tiny tip: Affinity Designer supports osx App Exposé. This means you can get a list of your recently opened files anytime (including thumbnails and names) by using App Exposé.

Depending on your OSX and settings: this can be access anytime by doing Control + Down Arrow Key. You can also use the trackpad '3 finger swipe down' gesture.

• Staff

I think, retrograde is talking about the list of files that are not currently open, but the list of files that have recently be worked on but closed.

That is what the App expose does! As well as showing the files currently opened, it also shows you the list of recent files. :)

Edit: See attached for separated mode.

post-14-0-06044600-1422365793_thumb.png

Thanks Andrew. I couldn't replicate what you're talking about, just the currently opened windows. Also is Expose now Mission Control?

I don't use mission control much.

Yep sure do. That's where I usually go once the app is open.

I thought it would be convenient for a list in the welcome screen. I don't want to make a big deal over this, I just assumed it made sense to have access to recent files in the startup screen. I understand some people might not have the screen come up each time...

• Staff

Hi retrograde,

No problem with the suggestion. We will take it into consideration. :) My tip was just something related that I thought I just throw out there... :P

App Exposé isn't Mission Control, that's something slightly different. I don't think App Exposé is available from the LaunchPad nor the application folder. Check your system preferences as MEB suggested to see if this function is turned on or off. Also, the OSX version might affect if App Expose is available or access differently.

Edit: It works in OSX Lion, but I had to turn on the swipe gesture to activate App Expose in the Trackpad preferences. Control + Down Key should still work though.

Yes that did it. Thanks MEB.

You know, it's weird because nowhere does it say that it does this. As your screenshot shows it just says "application windows" nothing about "recent files will show up if you enact this keystroke in an open app..." 

I still vote for this info in the splash screen, it's still less steps because it'll come up as the app is starting up.  :)

I also think it's a neat space to quickly access your files... or the Forum's Gallery section ;P

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17