You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to colorize only SOME layers not all

Hello there,

I have a question about Affinity Photo.

I have a file with several layers and I would like to colorize some of them (preferably all together) but not ALL of the layers.

Whenever I go to the "adjustment" (I guess that is what the Eeglish translation is, I am working with the German version) icon on the bottom of the layers panel and choose COLORIZE then it colors ALL of the layers. Is there a way I can only color some layers, namely the ones I want to be colorized?

Thanks for your help!

Well as I said. I tried that but whenever I colorize using the adjustment icon, it colorizes ALL of the layers - every single one regardless whether it's in a group or not.

Does no one know how to do this properly?

Are you able to post a screen capture of what your Layers look like and where you have the adjustment located? If no layer is selected and you add Colorize (Recolor?) adjustment then it will be added to the top of the Layers panel and yes, it will affect everything below it, all of your layers. If you have 5 layers and select the 3rd layer down and add an adjustment Layer it will be inserted right above that 3rd layer and colorize the 3rd, 4th and 5th layers, everything below it.

You can group the layers you want to colorize and then twirl down the triangle for that group and select the top layer, that first layer and then add an adjustment layer, it will be inserted above that first layer in the group and affect everything below it. A better approach is probably to apply the adjustment layer to the group by dragging the adjustment layer on the group until you see the short vertical blue box just to the right of the group name. It will affect all of the layers in the group but you have the added benefit of being able to easily access the adjustment layer without having to twirl down the triangle for the group and expose the contents. The Adjustment Layer Icon will be to the right of the Group Icon when it is closed up. 

If you knew all of this and are still having problems then that is beyond my meager ability.

• Staff

Hi thostev,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You have two options here: you can either drag the adjustment to inside the group layer - placing it on top of all the layers inside the group or drag the adjustment layer over the group's thumbnail to nest the adjustment to the group's layer. You should see a small vertical blue line appearing on the right of the group thumbnail - release the mouse button at that point to nest the adjustment to the group (rather than placing it inside the group). In both cases the adjustment will only affect the content of the group.

Ok, I seem to have figured it out.

The problem was that there was a selection of one of the layers which is why it only colorized that. By coincidence it was the first layer which is why I thought it would always only colorize the first layer when really it only colorized the selection (which by coincidence was the complete layer's outline).

So problem solved. Thanks.

• Staff

You don't have to select all the layers inside the group. Just place the adjustment layer inside the group on top of the otter layers (or nested as i explained in the previous post) and double-click the adjustment's thumbnail (in the Layers panel) to select/adjust the colour. Glad to know you have sorted it out.