You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stop Frame Animation

• Staff

Hi,

Animation is not on our roadmap at this time, I'm afraid.

Every time we / others have tried to do it, it hasn't ended well - I know, I wrote the DrawPlus stop/key frame animation. Bad times :/

The volatility of format also troubles me (spend 2 years making SWF output work, SWF then dies.. etc.)

Thanks,

AndyS

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this back up... I know this feature isn't planned but with animating UI's becoming an increasing necessity I think it would be nice to implement at least some sort stripped down timeline based animation tool. Maybe you could design the code with this in mind for later implementation? Photoshop has a great implementation of this where your layers turn into layers on the timeline. You can then animate simple effects like transform, opacity, effects etc

photoshop-animation20.jpg

Showing your animating UI's to clients is become more and more popular as it allows the client to see the animating result before its coded. This saves lots of timely re-coding. Here are some examples from Dribbble.com:

newcollection.gif

gif_v2.gif

fiche.gif

Anyway here's to hoping :D

I too would love to have animation support, GIF exporting in the is application. Great animations btw man! they look terrific :D

Maybe even full animation support, that would be cool! With export features like SWF files, and more cause toonboom and animestudio are too expensive!

Sorry, never going to happen in Affinity Designer..

Not saying there won't be an Affinity product which does animation one day, but if it happens, it won't be anything to do with me :)

AndyS

Affinity is announcing Affinity Animator for Mac. Can I tweet it already ?  :P

More seriously, I think there is almost no good alternative of any animator tool in general. At least on Mac.

Same for 3D, but it's a lot bigger ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I'd see the animation tool as being very limited. From a UI / UX perspective (thats all I know) I don't really need a fully fledged and separate animation package. Just something that allows me to visually see how my app I designed in photo or Draw might transition. Something along the lines of the limits of CSS3's translate and transform and opacity would do. As a bonus it would be nice to be able to animate the effects pallet like blur too. 

*hint hint*

Don't get me wrong a full Affinity Motion app: with 3d, motion graphics, film production and audio editing would be legendarily-awesome but that would be be a MASIVE undertaking :D lol

*hint hint*

I understand though that its important to get a solid and strong foundation with the first 3 personas, especially from a marketing perspective. Maybe sometime after then we could be thinking about animation and such... perhaps?  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Adobe Fireworks has states that allow you to create animated gifs.  This is a very nice feature and wouldn't seem to be too hard to implement.  The states just look like layers.  There is a little timer setting you can use for each state. You can also play the animation before exporting the gif.  You export your gif as animated.  It works really simply and nice.  The things in this thread could all be done.  This gif has about 150 states (with intended time variation) done in Fireworks:  http://bitnium.com

Fireworks still gets me by.  But states in Affinity would make me change.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Incidentally, I just put up a post not long ago where alternatives to After Effects were mentioned from a Mac-friendly and cost-effective standpoint. Ronnie McBride recently did a tutorial on using Designer with Motion. Following in his footsteps, I posted one about moving your assets from AD to Blender (and, yeah, unfortunately...that is me). Currently, I'm trying to shakedown two pieces of open source 'ware that definitely show some promise. One is Natron (if you're looking for the open source version of After Effects, this IS it...ironically, it has the same interface as Nuke) and the other is called ShotCut. ShotCut is a very capable editor/player with a deceptively simple interface. It doesn't do any compositing, but is very nice companion for Blender and Natron.

I've been able to export files from both Designer and Photo and use them in motion graphics experiments in Natron with no problem.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Animation is not on our roadmap at this time, I'm afraid.

Every time we / others have tried to do it, it hasn't ended well - I know, I wrote the DrawPlus stop/key frame animation. Bad times :/

The volatility of format also troubles me (spend 2 years making SWF output work, SWF then dies.. etc.)

Thanks,

AndyS

I think you guys should concentrate on making AD and AP the best you can instead of adding these kind of features. Maybe you could add options to easily export to, say, Hype 3, which is a great HTML5 animation tool.

Phil