You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stop Frame Animation

Gif Animator would fit the bill but I cannot understand how to animate with it. It reads PSD ok, there seem to be frames in the lower strip, but it previews and exports just a static gif.

I never used or tried that app, so I can't tell you if it works correctly or not. In that above referenced short article the author states that it does what PS is capable of doing itself.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Gif Animator would fit the bill but I cannot understand how to animate with it. It reads PSD ok, there seem to be frames in the lower strip, but it previews and exports just a static gif.

I think what matters is what you use to preview the GIF afterwards. Two programs that come with Mac, Preview and Photos, do not preview animated GIFs. However, you can select the file in the Finder window and press Spacebar to get an animated preview. I really wish that there could be more photo viewers for Mac that can pan through images like a flipbook and view animated GIFs. I use ViewPic for panning, but it doesn't yet view animated GIFs.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hmm that's odd, maybe you have to setup/apply first some loop timings or there is some sort of different storing options (like in PS "store for web") etc.?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Affinity Animator would be awesome.

Agreed it would. I would like to have an asset library to reuse animation sets. For example, I would use a walk cycle animation set and reuse it to have the asset move on a motion path.

I know it won't happen for a while since Affinity Publisher, iOS applications, and DAM are being addressed, but I really hope this one does eventually come. There won't be a video editor, but that doesn't mean yet there won't be an animator.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

If you guys really start bringing out a programm for every task I would regret buying Affinity Photo and Design BIGTIME.

Having a program for every task bloats the software in RAM because the core is loaded multiple times.

also the workflow will be very unintuitive, changing program every few minutes, animating something, need to change something, need to change between program to change brushsize, back to animator, see it still doesn't fit, get back to photo, change brushsize, bla bla.. The more you have to make breaks or think about how it is done, the more you loose the flow.

Making an extra animation persona would be bearable, but a seperate program would shoot the process of creative work.

GIMP is able to make animated GIF
Krita is able to make animated GIF
Corel Draw is able to make animated GIF

6 hours ago, goddamnmaddog said:

If you guys really start bringing out a programm for every task I would regret buying Affinity Photo and Design BIGTIME.

Having a program for every task bloats the software in RAM because the core is loaded multiple times.

also the workflow will be very unintuitive, changing program every few minutes, animating something, need to change something, need to change between program to change brushsize, back to animator, see it still doesn't fit, get back to photo, change brushsize, bla bla.. The more you have to make breaks or think about how it is done, the more you loose the flow.

Making an extra animation persona would be bearable, but a seperate program would shoot the process of creative work.

GIMP is able to make animated GIF
Krita is able to make animated GIF
Corel Draw is able to make animated GIF

PhotoPlus is able to make animated GIF
DrawPlus  is able to make animated GIF (and video and flash...)

6 hours ago, goddamnmaddog said:

What makes you think you would need to switch programs to change the size of brush strokes? We can already create text on a path in AD and tweak it in APh, or add a live lighting filter in APh and adjust it in AD, and we’ve been assured that APub will bring us linked text frames which will be editable in the other apps. So you wouldn’t need to have (say) Affinity Animator and Affinity Designer running simultaneously, and therefore you wouldn’t have the scenario you describe where “the core is loaded multiple times”.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

For example the vector brush lets me think I have to switch programs to do different tasks.. And if I want to make changes I have to switch programs..

If I want to animate a brush (like in Photoshop select a brush, select a path, click a button and the stroke is placed) I can't do it in affinity photo (the software I am mostly using) and I have to switch the program to use vector brushes which work almost the way I need them. But they are just available in Affinity Designer.

And because there is a lot of trial and error in creative work, there is a lot of switching back and forth.. 

Or perhaps you can enlighten me, how I can animate pressure on a brush in affinity photo (because vector brushes have been removed)

44 minutes ago, goddamnmaddog said:

Or perhaps you can enlighten me, how I can animate pressure on a brush in affinity photo (because vector brushes have been removed)

You can't animate pressure on a brush stroke created in Affinity Photo (because it's nothing more than a collection of pixels) but that's not what I understood us to be talking about. The point is that although you can only create vector brush strokes in Affinity Designer, you can edit them in Affinity Photo or any future Affinity app: you don't have to switch back to AD.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2014 at 2:11 PM, Andy Somerfield said:

Hi,

Animation is not on our roadmap at this time, I'm afraid.

Every time we / others have tried to do it, it hasn't ended well - I know, I wrote the DrawPlus stop/key frame animation. Bad times :/

The volatility of format also troubles me (spend 2 years making SWF output work, SWF then dies.. etc.)

Thanks,

AndyS

Thank you for that information Andy.

Just "throwing spitballs at the wall here"; if you approached animation from a pixel application approach in Affinity Photo, it might be easier to "reverse engineer" the code from the Gimp.app (a free and open source pixel application) @ www.Gimp.org;  if I read the tea leaves correctly, the developers at Gimp.org encourage "spin-offs" with no licensing fees required.  (I am sure that if you could use their code and send them a nice donation, that they would be greatly appreciative).

gimp gif 1.png

Gimp gif 2.png

Goimp gif 3.png

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Late 2013 iMac/32gb ram/2tb ssd     2018 MacBook Pro/32gb ram/1 tb ssd

Affinity Designer/Designer Beta

Affinity Photo/Photo Beta

Affinity Publisher Beta

On 2/20/2017 at 9:29 AM, Bri-Toon said:

I think what matters is what you use to preview the GIF afterwards. Two programs that come with Mac, Preview and Photos, do not preview animated GIFs. However, you can select the file in the Finder window and press Spacebar to get an animated preview. I really wish that there could be more photo viewers for Mac that can pan through images like a flipbook and view animated GIFs. I use ViewPic for panning, but it doesn't yet view animated GIFs.

Try downloading Gimp.app @  www.gimp.org for a fully featured gif creator/player/editor

Gimp gif 2.png

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Affinity Publisher Beta

On 2/20/2017 at 11:08 AM, Fixx said:

Nope, Gif Animator saves only static gif. Checked several players.

Fixx, you may want to try Gimp.app, available as a free, open-sourced pixel editor @  www.gimp.org; it can create/play and edit gif's; very easy and straightforward.

1. bring in your still images

2.  Under filters, click on animation

3. click on optimize for a animation .

4.  Click on playback and use the animnation player to adjust speed.

5.  Export with a gif extrension.

6.  Check off where it says "export as animation"

(Message me if you get stuck)

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Affinity Publisher Beta

For those of you needing a gif editor NOW, download Gimp.app @ www.gimp.org; it has a gif creator/player/editor

Free and open sourced for Windows, Mac & Linux

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Affinity Publisher Beta

I'm not really a fan of Gimp either to be honest. It's great for what it can do, but the UI for any program is the first thing that sticks out at me, and I am more of a vector nerd. I will say, however, I love the cage warp.

11 hours ago, Fixx said:

GIMP has been quite complicated piece. If I do not have separate images but layered design can it be converted to animation as well?

You determine the still shots to be used to create your animation and Gimp will optimize all images(layers) to create your animation; then when you come to the exporting, just assign a .gif extension.  In the final export frame, you click the export as animation switch.

I am no software officianodo and I have no problems using this feature in Gimp.

Gimp is like all graphics program; you just have to spend a few hours with the learning curve.

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Affinity Publisher Beta

(You would need to convert your "layered design" into separate layers, yes.)  ;)

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Affinity Publisher Beta

Gimp's "animation" options are (sorry) extremely limited and awkward.

Use either Krita or OpenToonz instead. Editing gif animations in OpenToonz is very effective and easy in my experience - and extremely powerful. OpenToonz imports and export gif animations if the ffmpeg executable is set up in the preferences. A joy to animate with. The timeline supports layers, of course, although the way they work is different compared to image editors. Krita's timeline is also quite good for animation, and works with layers (in this case just like Affinity).