You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stop Frame Animation

Animation is essential for most designers. This is another area where adobe really doesn't get it. There is a decent timeline feature in photoshop, but it is clunky compare to FCP. Being able to make vector animations down and dirty would be great.

I think a pro version of AD with some animation features would be a great thing. I would love to see the affinity UI ported to more programs. Going from ZBrush, to Blender, to Affinity spins my head. I have to break up projects into separate days to let my brain reset. An export frame to FCPx might be just as useful. It's possible now with a few hotkeys, but something native would be amazing.

• 1 month later...

I will plus one this. I was hoping to uninstall all of Adobe's bloat but now I have to reinstall Photoshop so I can create an animated logo as a progress loader. Custom animated loaders (especially animated logos as loaders) are a common task. At the least, implementing the ability to export layers as an animated GIF would be great.

thanks

• 3 months later...

Animation would be a great feature, but I totally understand that the program's main focus is on design. However, there are two tools in various animation software that might flow well in Designer, and those tools are a brush stabilizer and a segment eraser. The brush stabilizer reduces the speed of the cursor's drag to perform smoother lines, and the segment eraser erases overshooting areas of two lines by a quick swipe. If it can't happen, it's no biggie, but I would that to death.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 1 month later...

I'm on my way of using Designer to replacing Adobe Fireworks and so far I'm LOVING IT.

I don't use the web page related features, just the vector / bitmap synergy and Designer is providing a lot of that already!

I do however tend edit a lot of GIFs, so I do hope Designer will may one day do the same.

-Will

• 6 months later...

+1 for Animation.

Look at this. You can have a 3500.- computer with a fancy Touch Bar that you'd like to touch more often than your girlfriend but if you can't do this with your computer/software you're not sharing a table with the cool dudes. Not even close.

shuqi_search_animation_1.gif

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi psiclone,

If you need a reference Photo is comparable to Photoshop + Camera RAW, while Designer is closer to Illustrator/Fireworks. This doesn't mean we are aiming to cover everything they do/offer. We intend to keep the apps focused on the areas they were developed for. So 3D, video or animation tools are not planned for Affinity Photo which is focused on RAW conversion/development and photo editing.

• 2 weeks later...

It may not be the best for advanced users, but an online animation maker, Animatron, looks pretty promising. You can import your own images and add keyframe animations.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I did go through a software phase where I tried many programs, and Krita was one of them, but I'm more interested in a program where animation is the main focus. Plus, after all of my computer trouble, I'm afraid to try programs that are not from the Mac App Store. I'm not saying Krita won't work for others.

Yeah and that's unfortunate. I am however a little interested in Motion, which is in the App Store, but I need to research that one thoroughly since it has quite a complex interface.

Well there are a bunch of such apps ...

Best you look first at some overview articles about such software, so you get an idea what is all available and what might be useful for pros or amateurs, or offers to have the features you are looking for:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

It also depends on the type of animation you aim for. If it is merely to be used to combine frames into a GIF, Dragonframe, Moho, Toonboom, OpenToonz are 'somewhat' overkill, right?

And there are simple ways to add functionality in MacOsX to automate the conversion of a bunch of images to a GIF animation, for example:

https://jacobsalmela.com/2015/11/02/make-animated-gifs-in-os-x-with-a-right-click/

Well there are a bunch of such apps ...

Hey thank you for the list. I like the look of iStopMotion.

Most people would just like to have a simple app which converts layered PSD file to frames, time them and saves to animated gif.

Probably yes and there are also apps for this segment:

Hey thank you for the list. I like the look of iStopMotion.

Then you can give it a try out in order to see if it fulfils your needs.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

One innovation that could be thought about is to create a totally dedicated video editing program using

Affinity tools. It could be built from the ground up, and give that difficult to use Adobe Premier a fright. Even call it Affinity Motion or similar.

Just a thought.