You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone,

First time user, love the Affinity layout and UI, really impressed with the speed and ease of use.

I'm working on a bunch of 360 photos in the Equirectangular Projection mode. I've been asked to add 20-30 location markers and text to 4-5 photos, but the client keeps coming back with numerous changes in terms of specific locations or text changes.

Currently my process has been to add the graphical elements and then Merge Down each one, thus flattening the image before I can Remove Projection and then export out a 360 image. However, this is a destructive method and I can't go back and make any changes to that layer (eg moving it more to the left, changing the text). If I need to make any changes I have to re-start the entire photo which obviously isn't time-efficient as some photos have 20-30 elements in it.

I'm sure there's a better process here but I can't find any information about working with non-destructive layers while in the Equirectangular Projection mode.

Does anyone know of any alternatives to the Merge Down method so I can go back to my edits at a later point if I need to make adjustments to my graphical layers without having to do a complete re-edit of each photo?

So so thankful for anyone who can help out or point me in a more efficient direction!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi adubio

I would recommend selecting merge visible from the layers menu adubio, this creates a new pixel layer with all the objects flattened, if you need to make changes delete this pixel layer make your changes on the other layers and merge visible again thus preserving your original layers.

Hi jhoy,

Thanks for replying with that suggested method. I gave it a go and though I can access my layers again it still didn't solve my issue when I move the live projection to a different part of the photo.

I still have to Merge Down the new layers in order to keep my new markers in place. Then when I exit live projection and move somewhere else (eg 180 degrees to the left to add new markers in) the image is baked in with my previous layers (which are now flattened into the original 360 photo).

If I need to go back to my first love projection angle and move say one marker, that's not currently possible as those layers had to be Merged Down to order to stay in place. I'm finding I just have to start again and add all the markers in again because I'm having to bake in the markers whenever I need to exit live projection and move somewhere else in the 360 degrees to add my other markers in.

Is there any way to not Merge Down so it's not destructive, and I can go back in and adjust the position or scale of one marker without having to re-place all my markers every time?

Thanks for any help!!

• 4 years later...
On 7/18/2017 at 8:31 AM, jhoy said:
Hi adubio

I would recommend selecting merge visible from the layers menu adubio, this creates a new pixel layer with all the objects flattened, if you need to make changes delete this pixel layer make your changes on the other layers and merge visible again thus preserving your original layers.

Update I'm actually not sure if this idea actually works, just now trying it out but the problem I'm facing is exiting (clearing) the projection, tried on all layers though the merged layer doesn't seem to know about this so it stays in the projection 🤔 I can't even duplicate, then merge then exit the projection 😭

I feel like the projection should be on the document and not on a layer, please correct me if I'm missing anything, but right now I can't think of a useful reason to have it bound to a layer as I can't imagine needing multiple equirectangular projections in one document¿?
So I think it would be really fantastic if at least equirectangular projections could be on the whole document so you don't have to remember which layer to select to clear it and also support non-destructivenes by remembering the correct position of all layers etc so no merging would be necessary 😍🥳

By the way I'm currently talking about all this stuff on iPad, haven't tested the desktop (Mac) version yet 🙃

So my current workflow is:

1. select all layers
  2. merge selected
  3. clear projection
  4. export
  5. undo clear projection and merge selected to be ready for any possible changes

Which does ONLY work if you DON'T move within the projection as anything else wouldn't move with it, so making it actually half useless

So I highly agree with @adubio that non-destructive layering is actually really important, otherwise it get's really complicated and frustrating 😔
Sorry for all the text 😵 too overwhelmed right now to try to strip it down 😵💫

Edited by CanRau
clarification