You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Black bird [Pictures]

Mithferion

Hit there, guys!

I took these pictures of a grackle with my smartphone and tried to improve them with Photo. I'm just a hobbyst with no training in photography but I hope I managed to get some decent pictures. Tell me what you think! Any advice will be appreciated. :)

Best regards!

Black_Bird_01.png

Black_Bird_02.png

Black_Bird_03.png

Hit there, guys!

I took these pictures of a grackle with my smartphone and tried to improve them with Photo. .....

No one can really tell if you have improved them sufficiently without seeing what the originals were like.

If you were going for a silhouetted look for the bird and the post then it looks fine

But if you wanted to get a bit more detail out of the bird and the post try playing with the Shadows adjustment. (as per the attached)

If you can upload your original smartphone pictures other people may be able to show you what they can do with them to "improve" them

post-17958-0-56428300-1499087330_thumb.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 3/7/2017 at 8:10 AM, carl123 said:

No one can really tell if you have improved them sufficiently without seeing what the originals were like.

You are right, that was an omission on my part.

On 3/7/2017 at 8:10 AM, carl123 said:

If you were going for a silhouetted look for the bird and the post then it looks fine

But if you wanted to get a bit more detail out of the bird and the post try playing with the Shadows adjustment. (as per the attached)

If you can upload your original smartphone pictures other people may be able to show you what they can do with them to "improve" them

I didn't feel I could get the detail of the bird, so I thought I could only stand the figure out. Here are the originals:

BB_Original_1.jpg

BB_Original_2.jpg

BB_Original_3.jpg

Best regards!

Mithferion, I like your 3rd one best due to your cropping. You removed the distracting growth and chain link and ended up with art that speaks. There is something communicated about loneliness with barbed wire and a single bird on a post with the expansive ocean-like sky taking up 95% of the background. The sun rays are okay but I question the one just above and parallel to the middle wire - it is 90 degrees out of phase with all the others. A jet contrail, maybe??  IMHO, you took a phone shot to a piece of photo art with your AP editing in that picture!

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Thanks a lot for your words, jer!

The message that you describe is also what I thought of the las two pictures after I took them, something about loneliness and also a bit of desolation. About the sun rays, the one you mention between the wires, I'm not sure if it's an effect on the len of my smartphone. I'll remove it to see how it works.

Best regards!

P. S.: The "cropping" on the last one was just me trying to get a closer shot of the bird, I didn't wanted to scare it. :lol: