ptc

Thumbnail display in Windows Explorer

Windows 10, 64-bit

When I create an .afphoto file from scratch and save it, I can see a preview for it in Windows Explorer. Preview tab also works.

When I import a NEF file, develop it and save it, no thumbnail is displayed in Windows Explorer (just a large afphoto icon). Preview tab fails to display anything.

I checked and it seems that the thumbnail handler installed by your product does not work correct in all cases.

post-46067-0-51255300-1499015046_thumb.jpg

Hey ptc,

Does this work if you close the app and refresh the desktop (F5)? Some users report that the thumbnails won't appear until they close the app, this was the case for me as well. 

Thanks, Chris.

Good point!

It seems that AP keeps the files locked and then the AP thumbnail handler shell extension cannot access the files and so Windows Explorer and other applications fail too. Serif should have a look at that.

May need to download Fast Picture Viewer codec pack, currently $9.99. Should fix issue of display of thumbnail of raw image files in AP.

Did same recently to get a DNG thumbnail to display in Windows 10 and also in AP. But ended up going down a different route and have to date not installed Fast Picture Viewer codec pack.

Researched DNG on the Adobe web site (Digital Neagative) and found a free codec called DNGCodec_2_0_Installer. Installed this codec and the DNG raw images were displayed in Windows 10 and AP.

There is always a first. Never thought that one would get imaging software and then have to download a codec to get functionality.

The problem is not the import of RAW files into AP, it's the display of thumbnails of AP files in Windows Explorer and other applications which use the Windows shell functions to extract thumbnails and previews from files.

WIC Codecs (like the FPV codecs) enable applications to access files in a uniform and standardized way. In most cases, this means extracting / developing RAW files. If Affinity Photo and Designer would offer a WIC codec (which they really should, this is standard for over 10 years now) all applications which use WIC could at least extract a preview for the Photo/Designer files. This would make these files much more versatile and less locked in. And AP/AD can stick to their proprietary and undocumented file formats.

Besides: I have the FPV codecs but they do not offer support for Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. This would be hard to do because Serif does not document the file format.

Extract from Microsoft.

"The Windows Imaging Component (WIC) provides an extensible framework for working with images and image metadata. WIC makes it possible for software and hardware vendors to develop codecs so that their own image formats can obtain the same platform support as native image formats such as tagged image file format (TIFF), Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG), or HD Photo.

WIC provides a single, consistent set of interfaces for all image processing, regardless of image format. Therefore, any application that uses WIC receives automatic support for new image formats as soon as the codec is installed. WIC also provides an extensible metadata framework that makes it possible for applications to read and write their own proprietary metadata directly to image files, so the metadata is never lost or separated from the image."

Yes. Your point?

I'm a software developer and I use WIC codecs in my software for years.

As far as I'm aware, Serif does not provide WIC codecs for their proprietary file formats. Correct me if I'm wrong.

They apparently provide thumbnail handlers for shell integration, but that's not the same thing.