You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo/Designer missing Guides

Why is it not possible to create Guides when the Node Tool is active. It seems like a commonly desired affect. Currently every time I want to create a guide line i have to place a marker on the screen of my monitor and then switch to the Move Tool in order to create a Guide by dragging from the documents Ruler. It would be great if we could great guides regardless of which tool is active.

Hope you guys can fix this.

Thanks

I'll gladly pay you guys to add this feature. It something I so commonly use in photoshop that it's become a bit difficult at times to create certain shapes and vectors in AD versus photoshop.

Here is a list of the processes it breaks by not having this feature

Without the ability to snap guides user's can NOT do the following

1. Snap guides to sub parts of nodes 
  2. Snap guides to control handles on shapes
  3. Snap guides to edges of shapes which are parts of larger shapes
  4. Snap guides to Text characters
  5. Snap guides to selected shape points

These are all critical and rather basic uses for Guides and the reasons people use them. I noticed this topic was brought up back in 2014. I hope you guys could maybe supply some information on whether or not we will ever see this feature. Otherwise I may sadly have to find some alternative solutions to this.

Why is it not possible to create Guides when the Node Tool is active. It seems like a commonly desired affect. Currently every time I want to create a guide line i have to place a marker on the screen of my monitor and then switch to the Move Tool in order to create a Guide by dragging from the documents Ruler. It would be great if we could great guides regardless of which tool is active.

It is actually possible to create guides when the Node Tool (or, as far as I can see, any other tool) is active, but only by Option/Alt-clicking on the ruler, not by dragging from it. That isn't such a huge inconvenience, since in order to create a guide you need to move the cursor from the marker to the ruler whichever way you do it, but it would be great if we could also move existing guides with the Node Tool.

You could do away with markers altogether if we had a right-click option to 'Create Guide(s) Here > Horizontal/Vertical/Both'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can not create Guides easily. You have to be in a specific tool. Guides are only creatable under specific situations which is very annoying when trying to draw shapes or brush strokes.

In photoshop it doesn't matter what tool you are using, you can create guides by dragging out from the ruler.