You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Messed Up Zoom on Scroll Wheel

introduction

hi there, i have been following affinity for a while, though i only use it in trial to peak in how it develops, i strongly would tend to buying it mostly for architectural representations but also some other quick designs or creating documents. the main reason for favouring this tendency is that affinity seemed promising in matter of navigational behaviour. i like this fast flash light fluent intuitiv way of navigating and since i am using Rhino 3d very often, setting the mousewheel to zoom is a very important factor to have a similar behaviour, even though i must point out that the performance of affinity designer does not fully match the navigational strength of rhino (maybe somebody can have a look once to compare). actually many dont also none of the adobe applications match it even though photoshop seems promising in this matters.

bugreport

something must´ ve changed, i cant say when since i dont use it frequently but the fact is that zooming in seems to be still ok while zooming out behaves far more accelerated resulting in suddenly having a little dot on my screen where i had an A0 fullscreen before, which i then have to either zoom back with large zoom movements or i press cmd 0 to get back which in my opinion makes zooming with the mouse wheel impossible. when i concentrate in making small zoom steps it keeps somewhere manageable but this does not help keeping a fast and fluent way of navigating hence breaking the fun and the speed working with the mousewheel. has nobody noticed that? this definitely was not like that the first times i tried it.

i may add that i have my system scroll speed settings set to the fastest. having it set to the 4th notch the difference seems not very noticeable but the "hyper" jump behaviour in zooming out becomes increasingly noticeable from the 5th notch on.

it might also be helpful having an independent setting inside affinity because i noticed that the weird scroll wheel acceleration from apple causes problems, not only in affinity.

Hi RichardZ

I think this is just a general issue with having a high scroll speed. I;m getting similar behaviour when scroll zooming in multiple app not just ours. I'm going to move this to the feature request section for consideration of an in app option

cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

hi Assurer thanks for the consideration but its not meant as feature request. this exact issue does not occur in other software packages i am aware of. and as i said the zoom behaved far more predictable in earlier versions, maybe before 1.5 i assume. and till this is not fixed again i am afraid that using affinity designer is unfortunately out of the question..

maybe it was not explained well but there is an acceleration difference in zooming in and zooming out and not a general issue at least not in this exact matter.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought 2 new mice 6 months ago and they both had an accelerated scroll that totally made them useless to zoom or even scroll using the wheel accurately.  I've had to stay with my tired and sick old mouse because it was made before the majority of mouse users who only want it to be able to get the bottom of the blog quickly.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

i see, that might make sense, so newer mice have an acceleration built in? but this has to be substituted by the system. i was already thinking that this could be the problem, so i looked for almost forever to find how to disable mousewheel acceleration on a mac also because it is bothersome for web sites as you say and also in finder to get to the bottom of windows.

i have found all other settings via terminal for the mouse speed and acceleration for the mouse itself but no acceleration settings for the wheel. it seriously makes it impossible to work with it in a controlled manner when set to the fastest and cant be it that one has to fiddle in terminal at all to get a mouse to behave normal.

i wish it would be considered that the mousewheel gets unlinked from the system and settings made available in affinity.  getting an older mouse is not a good option. i wonder that nobody else is saying anything.

• 4 months later...

hi @Dave Harris can you maybe shed a little light into this? are there any plans for getting a normal mouse wheel to work with affinity products? i am sorry if you are not responsible, but you were somebody who reliably replied in the past, hopefully you have a few minutes to spare.

without an internal fix from you guys for affinity itself this is unworkable. using a touchpad is not an option. right now i was considering buying the promo for publisher, but it drives me nuts that i lose the screen when i zoom out, keeping the speed low in the system settings is not a good workaround either..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, RichardZ said:

still no regulated mouse zoom? :(😳

Richard, FYI my 4th mouse (or was it the fifth) was a Logitech MX vertical mouse.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/mx-vertical-ergonomic-mouse.910-005447.html

The others had an accelerated scroll that made it useless for any accuracy.  This one is adjustable via their software to be just about perfect.

Other than the wheel speed, this also has a button that I can use to switch between two speeds that it moves the cursor.  I find this is very handy to get accurate cursor movement in tight areas.

Plus I find the vertical configuration very comfortable on my hand and wrist.  My wife doesn't use it much but hates the vertical.  It takes a few hours to get used to it.  Now I find it preferable to a normal mouse.  I do find the 2 buttons above the thumb to be useless.  I'd have to have a thumb at least a half inch longer to hit the second easily (and I don't have small hands).  But even the first is hard to use.

In my opinion, the scroll speed is an issue caused by the drivers of the mouse.  I had the same problem in other programs with the other mice.  Sometimes the accelerated zoom was handy for such as scrolling down through a big list on a web site.  Just not good for any drawing program like AD or APh.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra