You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Loading OCIO configs on iPad

Hey guys

I'm trying to load the ACES 1.0.3 OCIO config in Affinity Photo for iPad.

I've followed the steps shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro30z4nXkuc

For me, renaming the directories with a ".ocio" extension has no effect.

Which isn't surprising, I'm not sure why adding .ocio would change a directory into a package/bundle.

AFAIK .ocio isn't something macOS treats as a special extension under normal circumstances.

Are you guys running something else that's causing this to happen?

I'm running Sierra 10.12.5

• Staff

Hi alexfry,

Welcome to the forums.

I've just gone through the process and it worked ok, copy the folder to your iCloud on macOS first, once its finished uploading rename it so it has an .ocio extension. Within Affinity Photo on your iPad select this file from Preferences > Colour > Choose OCIO Package. Remember to then fully close Affinity Photo by double tapping the home button and swiping up, now reopen and they will be available.

• Staff

Just to add to Lee's post, have you tried adding the .ocio extension once the files are actually on your iCloud Drive? The Photo iPad app actually registers ".ocio" as an extension with iCloud Drive, so you should be able to dump the folder onto your cloud storage then rename and convert it to a package.

Apologies as I only realised this after doing the video (I only added the extension once the folders were in the iCloud folder). I'll have to look at revising the video or adding an on-screen note.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Greetings,

I also would like to add that renaming the folder with an extension doesn't make it into a package.

Maybe you devs have a folder action that converts it automatically when renaming, or some developer utils make it possible.

I tested it with fully uploaded files to iCloud, on Mac OS Sierra, please see attached video.

ocio.mp4

Hmm
Yup, I’m doing things in sequence correctly..

The only variable is that I’m using the “Files” app in the iOS 11 beta, not the iCloud Drive app under iOS 10.

Is it possible that Files isn't accepting the registration of the ocio extension in the same way as the old iCloud Drive app?

• 2 weeks later...

Still having no luck with this..

I will note that config.ocio files in the Files app under iOS 11 beta 3 now seem to be associated with Affinity Photo (custom icon etc).

But still not getting the conversion to bundle behaviour on the whole config folder. And therefore affinity isn't recognising the config.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/3/2017 at 5:22 AM, James Ritson said:

Just to add to Lee's post, have you tried adding the .ocio extension once the files are actually on your iCloud Drive? The Photo iPad app actually registers ".ocio" as an extension with iCloud Drive, so you should be able to dump the folder onto your cloud storage then rename and convert it to a package.

Apologies as I only realised this after doing the video (I only added the extension once the folders were in the iCloud folder). I'll have to look at revising the video or adding an on-screen note.

This does not work under 10.14.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Ok, it's Sept. 2020 and unfortunately this still doesn't seem to be working 3 years later. Regardless of whether or not this worked in-house when originally implemented, it's a temporary workflow that should not rely on unknown iOS file app processes that can and do change without notice. I've tried to get a folder to covert to a package using the description in the help files several times from my MacBook Pro and there is no conversion happening, it's still a folder. I'd love to see a real solution to be able to edit OCIO / ACES files in AP on iOS.

@Lee D Is there any new progress on this or are there new tricks to get this to convert?

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

Thanks / Travis

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I think I have figured this out. I googled how to make a package in OS X and got this information. https://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/osx/how-to-restore-a-folder-that-has-turned-into-a-package-in-os-x/

run this command in the terminal to toggle the bit on the folder that tells OS X that it is a bundle.

setfile -a B ~/Downloads/OpenColorIO-Config-ACES-1.2/aces_1.2.ocio

Sorry, but not sure how if this is possible to do on windows for OS X/iPadOS. 

to summarize: 

1. I downloaded the ocio config
  2. I renamed the aces_1.2 folder to aces_1.2.ocio (this didn't change the status of the folder)
  3. run 'setfile -a B $PATH' command (replace $PATH with path to your aces_1.2.ocio folder)
  4. copy new bundle to iCloud Drive if not already there.
  5. browse to aces_1.2.ocio bunldle (icon may still be a folder) in Affinity Photo prefences -> color 

LOL, I should have kept reading on the forums. This post provides the solution that is IN the help screen of affinity itself:

So this is possible to do on only the iPad. download zip file, unzip, rename aces_1.2 folder to aces_1.2.ocio and boom! it becomes a bundle/package. Seems to work in Affinity after this much simpler process than using the Terminal.

Edited by fusion23
added more complete/correct info

20 hours ago, fusion23 said:

So this is possible to do on only the iPad. download zip file, unzip, rename aces_1.2 folder to aces_1.2.ocio and boom! it becomes a bundle/package.

Help file still says it requires desktop and iCloud to covert the file. Not the case it seems.
I just downloaded the sample aces_1.0.3 folder, stored on my iPad, used Documents app to rename the file extension to .icio, (note: Files app doesn’t rename extensions), and from Affinity Photo browsed to this .icio folder on my iPad, loaded it in Settings, Colour preferences. After converting an image to 32 bit, the view tool now offers ICIO mode with view menu and display menu options. These were not previously available, so I guess it worked? Desktop and iCloud not required. The ICIO Adjustments Studio now offers many options for Source and Destination. 

99755AFD-B1C1-457B-9A6C-20CF42534F54.png

EBD7F243-D1AA-46CB-A862-E8990B7141AE.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 7/4/2017 at 7:30 AM, alexfry said:

Is it possible that Files isn't accepting the registration of the ocio extension

Old post (I know), but Files app can’t change file extensions. Use Documents app (free). It can change file extension when renaming on iPad. I think this has been the main issue for many people attempting this from iPads.

EDIT: As acapstick points out below, with the release of IOS 15, iOS Files app can now rename OCIO 'folders'.  Problem solved.👍

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/