CleverClod

Mac Photos Extension: Affinity cannot be launched

Hello!

I just started using Affinity Photo on Mac, and I love it! I'm having difficulty using the "edit in Affinity Photo" extension feature in (Apple) Photos. When I click on it, I get the error message "Affinity Photo could not be launched. Please press cancel." 

It seems that all the other extensions in Photos are working just fine, just not this one. 

Photos Version: 2.0 (3150.4.120)

Affinity Photo Version: 1.5.2

I've tried a restart of the machine, and a reinstall of Affinity Photo. I also searched the forums and only found an instance of someone else asking about this, with no answer. I'd love some help getting this working!

Also... I'd like to confirm that this feature will actually do what I'm hoping it'll do. What I'm looking for is to edit the photo in Affinity Photo, and then when I save it (not export), it'll save my edited copy back into Photos. The desire to easily pull a photo from my laptop in Photos, do a quick edit in affinity, and have it saved back through all my other iCloud devices is the dream!

Hi CleverClod

I'm not able to replicate this I'm afraid. Is it a particular file or file type that you are trying open?

the round trip of editing in Affinity from the Photos app should generally work as you described

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I'm new to Affinity having been a long time Adobe user.  On the iPad I'm getting to grips, but on my iMac and MacBook Pro I'm also getting the "affinity photo could not be launched" message with the Mac trial versions.  The extensions to DEVELOP, HAZE REMOVAL etc seem to work, just not "EDIT IN AFFINITY PHOTO".  My iMac is running 10.12.5 (16F73) and my MacBook 10.13 beta (17A291).  JPG files.

I have the same problem. All other extensions of Affinity work whereas "open in Affinity" doesn't work sadly. :-/ Is there anybody from affinity here who could tell me how to debug this? I'm unfamilar with Sierra's new logging infrastructure so not sure how we could pinpoint the failure point.

It doesn't even appear as a listed extension choice for images in the Photos section of my iPad.

Camera+ and Filmborn extensions appear just fine.

On 15/07/2017 at 3:03 PM, Tosh said:

It doesn't even appear as a listed extension choice for images in the Photos section of my iPad.

Camera+ and Filmborn extensions appear just fine.

We currently don't have an extension for iPad the extensions for Affinity Photo are Mac only at this point

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

On 7/4/2017 at 6:09 AM, Chris_K said:

Hi CleverClod

I'm not able to replicate this I'm afraid. Is it a particular file or file type that you are trying open?

the round trip of editing in Affinity from the Photos app should generally work as you described

Cheers

Hi Chris!

I'm still having this issue on my Mac. I've attached the "info" from one of the file examples that I'm trying to do this with, to directly answer which file type I'm using. It's either a JPEG like this, or even a RAW file from the same camera. It is also happening to every picture I try to do this with, and not one particular file. I can open this same file from the Affinity "open" menu, but I'm afraid that workflow doesn't adjust the original file like I hoped it would, but instead it creates a new one. (My ultimate goal is to have all my edited files stay in iPhoto so I can keep them across all of my devices.)

I've also attached a GIF of my workflow, just in case there's something you see I'm doing wrong. At the end, you can see the error message at the bottom of the screen.

Is there perhaps some MAC setting I'm missing that's not allowing extensions to open up applications? I don't have any other 3rd party extensions to test this with. Please let me know if there's any other information I could get you!

On a side note, I wasn't getting notifications on responses to this thread, but I should now! Meaning, I should be a lot more responsive in the future :). Thanks so much for your help!

File Type.png

Affinity_Error.gif

I have exactly the same problem as CleverClod. What's annoying is that when I first installed Affinity, the round–tripping worked but now it's stopped working. Does Serif have any ideas on this?

Unfortunately it hasn't worked for me. I still can't do round tripping from mac Photos. I'm using Affinity 1.6 and Mac High Sierra (OSX 10.13.1). Do you have any idea why, Chris K?

Among the "other" options in Photos, all of which currently work, one is "Edit in Affinity Photo".  I click it and am given a full-screen display of my picture with text at the bottom saying "Affinity Photo could not be launched.  Please press concel."  This doesn't look like the usual complaint box from the Mac OS, but a special one from within Photos. I'm using OS 10.13.2, Photos v3.0 (3251.12.190) and Affinity Photo v1.6.6.  I've tried opening Affinity Photo first, but this doesn't change anything.

The latest update hasn't changed anything for me. However, I have found a workaround. Instead of editing the photo in iPhoto, then choosing to edit with Affinity... right click on the photo, and choose to edit it with Affinity Photo. I've attached a screenshot.

To help clarify the issue, this feature DOES NOT work if you:

• Open up a photo in iPhoto
  • Click "Edit" at the top right
  • Click the (...) option for editing with extensions. 
  • Choose the "Edit in Affinity Photo" option. Note: all other Affinity extensions work fine here (i.e. Affinity Develop, Affinity Haze Removal, Affinity Retouch)

This feature DOES work if you:

• Right click on any photo in iPhoto
  • Choose "Edit With" and then select "Affinity Photo"

-----

What I'm still missing from this though, is the ability to choose a photo in iPhoto, edit it in Affinity Photo, and have all of my edits adjust and update in iPhoto. It seems with this route, I have to save a new file after I make edits. Please let me know if I'm missing something!

Image 2017-12-31 at 8.41.42 PM.png

Here it is 2019 and this problem still hasn't been fixed. Normally I'd have switched over to Luminar by this time but it doesn't work correctly with Photos either.

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 4.35.30 AM.png

OK, I did find that in Photos I can choose Image->Edit With->Affinity Photo and Affinity Photo will be launched with the selected image in Photos then opened in Affinity Photo. If this is the way Affinity Photo was intended to be launched in Photos, then Affinity Photo should not be included in the Photos extension list, which can only lead to confusion.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:10 AM, RogerWehage said:

Here it is 2019 and this problem still hasn't been fixed. Normally I'd have switched over to Luminar by this time but it doesn't work correctly with Photos either.

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 4.35.30 AM.png

OK, I did find that in Photos I can choose Image->Edit With->Affinity Photo and Affinity Photo will be launched with the selected image in Photos then opened in Affinity Photo. If this is the way Affinity Photo was intended to be launched in Photos, then Affinity Photo should not be included in the Photos extension list, which can only lead to confusion.

I have to keep wondering how much of this would be fixed it Serif just put out their own DAM like they said they would eventually. What is hard to tell is I don't know how much of this is Serif's fault and how much of it is Apple's fault. We may complain on Serif's forums and it could have more to do with Apple's program. It might also be that both programs are relatively new apps and both companies haven't had time to think out how this works all the way.