You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It depends on the file. As it says in the Customer Beta announcement, files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5: this implies that some will but others won't.

Edit: I'm confused. I've just re-read the original post to this thread, where it says that a *.afphoto file created with beta 1.6.0.75 cannot be reopened with "this latest beta". But "this latest beta" is beta 1.6.0.75, so is the OP saying that this build cannot reopen its own files? :huh:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you for confirming that important detail, Régal. Please attach a build 1.6.0.75 *.afphoto file that demonstrates the problem.

Alfred spacer.png

I tried to attach a file, but did not succeed. When I right- clicked the file in Windows explorer the aphoto-file has 0 bytes. That is propably the reason why AP can't display it...

I retried several times to save an aphoto file, but build 1.6.0.75  Always writes a file with 0 bytes!

You shouldn't have to wait. Unless you force-quit, the program should keep itself open until it has finished writing the file.

Alfred spacer.png

Earlier version of AP cannot always open files created in a more recent version. I created a file today in AP 1.6.0.75 and saved it as an .aphoto file. I can't open this file in AP 1.5.2.69 , it says that it includes features of a later version of Affinity. I can't say what are those features as there was a lot of work done. But this should be considerred for real production work. I always used the latest beta version for real work and never had a problem.. so far...

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff

Well, all the previous tries the program didn't...

How are you closing the program? When saving a large file you will see a problem appear telling you the file is saving and it will stop you closing the app.

Just to be clear, are we not referring to *.afphoto files? I have never heard of an *.aphoto file in Affinity.

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

You shouldn't have to wait. Unless you force-quit, the program should keep itself open until it has finished writing the file.

While this point is true, it can seem counter-intuitive at times if you have clicked the x to close the window, clicked yes to save the file, and the program appears to do nothing.  There is no "saving" dialogue to indicate save progress.  On a large file, this can be a long time and the user can then doubt the app is closing.  I have done this myself and then clicked the x again which has interrupted the save progress and resulted in a corrupt zero byte file.  Is it possible to get a save progress dialogue?

Just to be clear, are we not referring to *.afphoto files? I have never heard of an *.aphoto file in Affinity.

Neither did I... My typo error... I meant "afphoto" file.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.