You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.0.75

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features
Requirements: A valid product key, issued when Windows Affinity Designer version 1.5 was purchased.

This is the third beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes since last beta

• Fixed incorrect colours when performing document to screen colour conversion
  • Fixed Select All on artboards not working as expected
  • Allow Paste between Artboards to retain artboard-relative object positions
  • More light UI fixes
  • Fixed pasting images into artboards not being pixel aligned
  • Reduced size of mitre output in SVG
  • Fixed crash when working with transformed pixel layers in symbols

Differences over Public Release Version 1.5.3.69

• First and foremost, the 1.6 version is mainly about: Light UI! (go to Preferences->User Interface)
  • Stroke stabiliser for all pencil and brush tools
  • Improved view pan/zoom performance and new pixel-differencing pixel shader
  • Improved performance with large documents
  • New Glyph browser
  • Align to key items (first/last selected)
  • Text frame vertical alignment options
  • Fit frame to text (double-click on bottom centre handle).
  • Transform panel uses the rotation centre
  • Scale/shear can now be performed about rotation centre
  • Double-click now resets shape handles and rotate/shear handles
  • Many PDF export improvements including vector export of multi-stop gradients
  • Added option to use High Precision input from WinTab (Wacom and compatible) devices (off by default)
  • Fixed Select All on artboards not working as expected
  • Allow Paste between Artboards to retain artboard-relative object positions
  • Fixed pasting images into artboards not being pixel aligned
  • Reduced size of mitre output in SVG
  • Fixed crash when working with transformed pixel layers in symbols
  • Fixed failure to hit rotation centre if the object had a transform
  • Improved UI responsiveness when panning or zooming during complex operations
  • Fixed right clicking thumbnails in the Layers panel deselects multiple-selected objects
  • Fixed colour chooser dialog failing to show waterfall after applying gradient
  • Fixed panel resizing behaved differently to macOS version
  • Fixed Brush Dynamic profiles not drawing correctly when first node is above zero
  • Fixed object moves in Layers panel when attempting to select it when scrollbar is visible
  • Fixed text justification when a line-break is on the last line
  • Fixed Transform & Navigator Panels overlapping when detached
  • Numerous bug fixes and stability improvements

Yes! Thanks for the updates again, I feared that after the IPAD release we would need to wait a lot longer for fixes as I still need some!

Just now I have problems with Text on Path, I  cannot move the Start and End-Icons even cursor doesn't change if hovering those orange icons.

I even watched a video again how to do it (the one with the bike) because I thought I do something wrong, but there they did it like I expected.

Then I tried it in 1.5.3 and yes it is working in 1.5.3.

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

I have problems with Text on Path...

Then I tried it in 1.5.3 and it is working.

Confirmed - can't change start / end points in the beta.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Thanks Mark and the Affinity Team!

Fantastic progress

I am so impressed how quickly this software is evolving...so many changes in a short space of time..do you guys ever sleep? :D

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Thanks for the latest update. Right now I'm getting some painfully slow lag in this version. Selecting text panels requires a tea break while the selection process completes! Checked same process in Xara to make sure it isn't the PC. Everything's snappy with that app. I'm also getting object movement ghosting too, where a partial image of the dragged item is left in the original place.  

*update*

The lag might be due to Skyfonts. I tried actually installing fonts rather than relying on Skyfonts to sync them and the issue seems to have gone away. Interesting. The ghosting is still present however, so I still have something to be ungrateful about ;-)

*update* After a promising start the issue returned, rendering the app unusable. There's a second between clicking on a text block and the selection marquee registering. Official release 1.5.3.69 runs fine though.

Hello team affinity,  :)

There is something I have noticed I do not know if this is already known error, :(  :(

I do not have a tablet and I use the pen tool. I, when performing a complex outline after a certain number of nodes or clicks (200 o more aprox) the program automatically has a forced closure both in the official version and in the beta,

But even so it is a great application that is improving by leaps and bounds

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dell Laptop G3 15.6" Core i5 10a. Gen. 16GB RAM, 1TB DD + 256 SSD, NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 Ti, Windows 11

Happy to report the color inversion at high luminance is gone again with this beta.

'document to screen' conversion does indeed sound like the place for this to have happened, on both Designer and Photo.

- on Designer I put an inner glow on items, and pushed it to whiting out  considerable area: no false colors, gradual action, no problem

- on the matching Photo release I pushed Exposure, now get same good results.

Somehow missing a report system where you feed back on fixes, but this worked this time.

Cheers on progress, and the products. I'm foolishly hoping to win a free iPad to be able to run versions there :)

Clive

• Staff

Just now I have problems with Text on Path, I  cannot move the Start and End-Icons even cursor doesn't change if hovering those orange icons.

I even watched a video again how to do it (the one with the bike) because I thought I do something wrong, but there they did it like I expected.

Then I tried it in 1.5.3 and yes it is working in 1.5.3.

Thanks af-user!

I've reproduced this and also occurs on the Mac. I'll get it passed on to development.

I had some artwork produced with 1.6 which didn't open in 1.5. Fortunately nothing serious was lost, but I worry about future version updates. Xara Designer has a very nice approach to this: Any version can open any document, even if produced in a more recent edition. (Certain newer features may be lost, of course.) Would it be possible to implement forward compatibility like this in Affinity?

I had some artwork produced with 1.6 which didn't open in 1.5. Fortunately nothing serious was lost, but I worry about future version updates. Xara Designer has a very nice approach to this: Any version can open any document, even if produced in a more recent edition. (Certain newer features may be lost, of course.) Would it be possible to implement forward compatibility like this in Affinity?

I'm afraid not. We considered it early on and chose not to. Part of the reason is that updates are free (at least until 2.0), so it would only be useful for beta testers. Generally beta testers can continue using the beta for documents saved by a beta; it should only be an issue if there is a major bug that stops the beta from working, or if they want to exchange files with non-beta users.

The pixel brush tool in combination with a wacom tablet (or tablet in general I guess) still has the same issues, even with the high precision mode activated. You guys really have to get this thing fixed. This is the only thing keeping me switching to Photoshop. If you do fast round circular strokes the stroke tends to be very edgy. I'm begging you, before spending time on the coloring of UI labels, get the tools you already implemented working correctly :-*

Cheers

post-64669-0-94371100-1499432313_thumb.jpg

The pixel brush tool in combination with a wacom tablet (or tablet in general I guess) still has the same issues, even with the high precision mode activated. You guys really have to get this thing fixed. This is the only thing keeping me switching to Photoshop. If you do fast round circular strokes the stroke tends to be very edgy. I'm begging you, before spending time on the coloring of UI labels, get the tools you already implemented working correctly :-*

Cheers

What Wacom tablet are you using?

I'm afraid not. We considered it early on and chose not to. Part of the reason is that updates are free (at least until 2.0), so it would only be useful for beta testers. Generally beta testers can continue using the beta for documents saved by a beta; it should only be an issue if there is a major bug that stops the beta from working, or if they want to exchange files with non-beta users.

That's okay, I think. So when 2.0 is out I believe we'll see those Save As filters for previous versions like AI or CorelDRAW.

And this means we'd better take those beta warning messages seriously if we don't want any unpleasant surprises!

Thanks for answering, keep up the good work.

An annoyance with the Stabiliser...

When switching between the two modes (Rope and Window) the next field on the toolbar does not update to show the correct label (Length or Window) until a stroke is drawn.

Neither does the value in the edit box update.

post-43096-0-64449200-1499855591_thumb.gif

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Drawing with the Pen is still too cumbersome, because of the Adobe-esque insistence on an interface dependent upon separate selection tools for whole paths versus subparts of paths (so-called "Selection" and "Direct Selection" in Illustrator).

It's actually worse than Illustrator in that:

In Illustrator, while using the Pen, pressing the momentary keyboard modifier invokes the most recently used of the two selection pointers. In Affinity, pressing Ctrl always invokes the Node tool. That is problematic when the object one needs to select is a special object (a Pie, for example):

1. Ellipse tool: Draw an ellipse.
  2. Click the Convert To Pie button.
  3. Pen tool: Draw a path.
  4. Press and hold Ctrl. The Node tool is momentarily invoked.
  5. Click the Pie object. Because the Node tool is invoked, the Pie object is selected as if in node-editing mode, not as a Pie object. So you can't, for example, change either of its Start or End angles, because those fields are not displayed. The behavior is also rather pointless in that, being a Pie object, even though the nodes are displayed while holding Ctrl, the nodes are neither selectable nor moveable.

I know that at this point in the game, there is no going back on the grievous decision to emulate Illustrator's cumbersome two-selectors interface. But given that, one needs to at least be able to momentarily invoke the appropriate selection tool for what one needs to do with it.

Perhaps make pressing Ctrl and Alt momentarily invoke the Selection tool when using the Pen.

At the very least, momentarily invoking the Node Tool should cause it to select special live objects (like Pie objects) in their higher special object state. After all, that's what happens when you are using the Node tool (as opposed to momentarily invoking it) and click a Pie object.

(By the way: When writing this post, I applied Numbered List to the steps described above. The step numbers and indenting display in the editor, but when submitted, they disappear.)

JET

Further regarding selection with the Node tool:

1. Pen tool: draw a path.

2. Ellipse tool: draw an ellipse.

3. Click the Convert to Pie button.

4. Deselect.

5. Node tool: Click the Pie object. It is selected as a Pie Object (as it should be). So its bounding box is dispayed and its Pie attributes are available.

6. Deselect.

7. Node tool: Drag a marquee selection around both the Pie object and the path. Both objects display their nodes. But the nodes of the Pie object are not editable, because it's a pie object.

What justifies this inconsistency between a Pie object being selected by itself as opposed to its being selected with another object, when both selections are made by the Node tool?

JET