deartify

Affinity Photo - crop from both sides at the same time

Hello everyone,

I have a question about croping tool. Can we crop from both sides at the same time. I want to grab for example left side and resize image symetrically to the center. In PS we can press Alt key if I remember and it crops symetricaly.

Thank you for any ideas

I seemed to have found a workaround for now. 

By typing in the new width in the crop dimensions you can crop with respect to the Center.

You can also crop with Documents>resize canvas and use the center anchor option.

It would be nicer though if we could use the cropping tool handles instead so we wouldn't have to do trial and error with the dimensions until we get the desired crop.

Here is a video showcasing both methods.

Any word on the implementation of this? I tried dragging the crop tool while holding alt/option and it didn't pull in both sides at the same time.

In a non-destructive way it´s:

1. draw a rectangle (no Stroke/no fill) above the image of the same size.

2. on a Mac hold down cmd-key and resize symmetrically from left or right till your liking.

3. Drag image onto rectangle in Layers Panel to use it as a mask.

BTW: in AD/PixelPersona it works as expected; crop-tool - hold cmd-key down - click+drag - release.

Posted (edited)

I'm also trying to switch to Affinity Photo, but this seems like quite a showstopper. I use this very often.
Scaling and cropping with alt and shift combinations seems such a basic function to me.

Edited by edwingr