You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disable antialias when transforming object

Thanks for the explanation. I might not have understood completely, but it makes some sense to me, and I've set my options to 'Force pixel alignment' ON and 'Move by whole pixels' OFF. If I understood right, MBWP only has an effect when working with sub-pixel stuff, (which I don't completely understand the purpose of – why not just increase resolution?).

What's most important to me is to get rid of antialiasing in as many scenarios as possible (when I don't choose to enable it). Now it's possible to move things pixels, I hope future updates will make it possible to also resize and rotate and to use the pen tool with all its sub-tools – pretty much do everything – without antialiasing

• Staff

You can adjust the antialiasing on a per object basis (see this post in the beginning of this same thread for instructions) but not disable antialiasing at an app level. Note you can select multiple objects to adjust the coverage map for all of them at once (described in the post linked) rather than one by one.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

From the original object's position. Who said all objects must be pixel aligned? When working on small icons, optimising logos or text for small sizes (for use on webpages for example) you may want to keep some of the objects/paths/shapes that compose the logo/icon/design/whatever in sub-pixel positions. Force Pixel Alignment ensures objects will be pixel aligned but for those you want to keep at sub-pixel positions Move by whole pixels will ensure they keep they decimal places while still moving them whole full pixels.

Thanks, Miguel. I think my ‘blind spot’ about this stems from the fact that checking/unchecking of the ‘Move by whole pixels’ option is only possible when ‘Force pixel alignment’ is checked, making it look as though there’s a parent/child relationship. What actually happens, however, is that ‘Move by whole pixels’ takes precedence, so that when it’s enabled the ‘parent’ setting is ignored and pixel alignment no longer occurs.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It occurs to me that ‘Force pixel alignment’ is a somewhat vague, only meaning that the pixels of the object will be forced into some kind of alignment, but not necessarily into alignment with the document's pixel grid.

So maybe it would be less confusing if the first button was just named ‘Force alignment’ & the function of the second one was reversed & named 'Integer aligned' ... or something like that? o.O

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 hours ago, MEB said:

You can adjust the antialiasing on a per object basis (see this post in the beginning of this same thread for instructions) but not disable antialiasing at an app level. Note you can select multiple objects to adjust the coverage map for all of them at once (described in the post linked) rather than one by one.

Thanks, but I'm on iPad, so, as you describe in your response to that post, I don't have the option that controls antialiasing. Or am I missing something? I can imagine it's a little confusing when some of us are on iPad and others on desktop, sorry for that.

@αℓƒяє∂ and @R C-R your posts help me understand, thanks. R C-R what you're suggesting sounds logical, in case the theory of how the options work holds good.

• 1 year later...
On 6/30/2017 at 4:55 PM, - S - said:

In the Layers panel there's a cog icon to the right of the layer blend modes called 'Blend Ranges'.  If you click on that and then click on 'Coverage Map' it gives you the ability to adjust anti-aliasing.  Do any of the following settings do what you're looking to do?

post-29590-0-85546300-1498864381_thumb.png

This is a great graphic resource, but with the latest updates the menus have changed slightly. The shaded vs. unshaded zones in the coverage map aren't the same and I can't seem to get the same exact mapping set up as in the photos in order to get this to work. Would anybody care to help me out and recreate the great graphic shown in the previous post with the latest Designer Blend Options menu? Much appreciated ^_^