You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to force curves to become paths when exporting to svg?

If you really, really want a <path> rather than a <rect>, you can set one or more corners to a small non-zero value. If you type 0.001 into the numeric control on the Context toolbar it will be displayed as 0% but the exported SVG file will include the desired 'path' element.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

What’s the problem with rectangles instead of paths if they are essentially just rectangles anyway?

I'm saving the path strings to a database and it would save me time not having to manually convert rects to paths.

... and I know Illustrator has that ability and I like Designer more so I thought I'd ask.  :)

If you really, really want a <path> rather than a <rect>, you can set one or more corners to a small non-zero value. If you type 0.001 into the numeric control on the Context toolbar it will be displayed as 0% but the exported SVG file will include the desired 'path' element.

Interesting approach. I'll go with that until there is a 'convert to curve' option somewhere.

Thanks for the help.  :)

• 2 years later...

Chiming in..

I need this for the exact same reason. I'm saving polygon points to a database. I don't know what was available in 2017, but nowadays there is a "Convert to curve" function. If I convert a rect to a curve it shows up as "(curve)" in the layer browser. But AD still exports those as rect in the SVG if they are rectangular. I suppose this is a great optimization for the created SVG, but I would rather decide this myself.

Is there any way to do this in 2020 without using Alfred's hack?

I just discovered another hack.

1. draw a rect

2. convert to curves

3. add another node on one of the lines (without altering the line)

When this is exported to SVG, the curve will be exported as a path and the extra node will be removed. I suppose the removal of the node is a reasonable optimization.

• 1 year later...
On 5/7/2020 at 4:15 PM, msageryd said:

I just discovered another hack.

1. draw a rect

2. convert to curves

3. add another node on one of the lines (without altering the line)

When this is exported to SVG, the curve will be exported as a path and the extra node will be removed. I suppose the removal of the node is a reasonable optimization.

Having to do this to every circle and rectangle in a complex design is... unpleasant :(

Saving as Optimised SVG from Inkscape works, but I don't think/know if there is a way to quickly script that to handle a batch folder of 100's of images.