AK_CCM

Will Affinity Publisher open PagePlus X9 files?

To put it as simply as I can, I do not care what Adobe or anybody else thinks PDF is intended for. I only care about if & how I can use the information in its file structures.

If you think that is delusional, then so be it. It is a delusion shared by a great many people besides myself.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

What makes you so sure Serif will attempt to build an importer for InDesign documents

The statement of a top cat.

Data is data. As long as its structure can be parsed, there are no limits on how it can be used. It is just information.

Because important original information gets lost, other file formats are used.

It is a pity that often only the technical theory is communicated and the graphic reality is ignored.

If you think that is delusional, then so be it. It is a delusion shared by a great many people besides myself.

The delusion isn't that editing a pdf isn't what most of us find necessary. It is the thinking that a pdf is a truly viable means of an interchangeable format. It isnt. At best it is a necessary evil when there is no other means of porting content from one application to another.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Because important original information gets lost, other file formats are used.

That is true for any file format used as an interchange format. Even TIFF, for all its flexibility, cannot save every type of application specific data that might be considered extremely important in one application field or another. There is no perfect "universal" interchange format & I sincerely doubt there ever could be. Technology advances too quickly for that to happen. Since I believe that to be true, it seems a bit pointless to argue over which formats qualify as interchange ones. If the potential for information loss is strictly applied, no format would ever qualify because in one way or another every one of them in existence will fail that test.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

The delusion isn't that editing a pdf isn't what most of us find necessary. It is the thinking that a pdf is a truly viable means of an interchangeable format. It isnt. At best it is a necessary evil when there is no other means of porting content from one application to another.

Do you believe it is delusional to think that the only thing that works when nothing else does is somehow not a viable solution?

Read my lips...it (editing a pdf) is a necessary evil when there does not exist an import filter. I never said otherwise.

Serif is going for as much Adobe business as is possible. There will be at least a rudimentary import filter for ID files. If not in APub initially, it will appear later on.

That will make it more tempting for ID users to at least investigate and perhaps make the switch. This is no different than PS users...do you think many Adobe PS users would even consider APhoto if there wasn't a PSD import/export filter? Now, PSD may not be important for you, but it is to many. The same will apply to ID users.

But all that could be said about PP as well. They are just not an important enough user base to Serif evidently else they would do so.

Anything else about this topic is just flapping the tongue. This is my last post in this thread.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

I really wish Affinity Publisher would open Page Plus files. I quit inDesign precisely because Adobe jettisoned Page Maker without making past versions compatible with their new fancy upgrades. I had to remake all my files three times over the years until I ran out of patience and dumped the program completely. It is a real shame that Affinity, aka Serif, does not value their past customers more than the customers of their rivals. It probably will make you more money but it will alienate your past clients. Maybe you haven't been paying attention to Amazon which values their customers above all else. Page Plus is a great program and those of us who adopted it should be honored with the courtesy and respect we deserve. You should make a conversion easily possible from PagePlus. It is the least you can do for us who have supported you.

Paul,

I fully agree with your feelings. When PageMaker went away, we moved to PagePlus. Over the years, we have raved to our friends how great PagePlus is for desktop publishing. Our entire publishing effort is presently centered around it, and we have thousands of PagePlus PPP files that will now be married to PagePlus, evidently never to be opened by Affinity Publisher. Yes, PagePlus did have some issues that a makeover could fix. However, we are presently in a state of limbo. PagePlus is now something of the past (legacy), and Affinity Publisher is yet in its infancy. Our PPX9 files are rather complex, and a plugin or something of the sort is not just a dream—it's an absolute necessity. We are just a little more than nervous as we are forced to continue building our more complex publications in a format that is seemingly headed to the graveyard. Thanks for sharing.