You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will Affinity Publisher open PagePlus X9 files?

To put it as simply as I can, I do not care what Adobe or anybody else thinks PDF is intended for. I only care about if & how I can use the information in its file structures.

If you think that is delusional, then so be it. It is a delusion shared by a great many people besides myself.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Data is data. As long as its structure can be parsed, there are no limits on how it can be used. It is just information.

Because important original information gets lost, other file formats are used.

It is a pity that often only the technical theory is communicated and the graphic reality is ignored.

If you think that is delusional, then so be it. It is a delusion shared by a great many people besides myself.

The delusion isn't that editing a pdf isn't what most of us find necessary. It is the thinking that a pdf is a truly viable means of an interchangeable format. It isnt. At best it is a necessary evil when there is no other means of porting content from one application to another.

Because important original information gets lost, other file formats are used.

That is true for any file format used as an interchange format. Even TIFF, for all its flexibility, cannot save every type of application specific data that might be considered extremely important in one application field or another. There is no perfect "universal" interchange format & I sincerely doubt there ever could be. Technology advances too quickly for that to happen. Since I believe that to be true, it seems a bit pointless to argue over which formats qualify as interchange ones. If the potential for information loss is strictly applied, no format would ever qualify because in one way or another every one of them in existence will fail that test.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The delusion isn't that editing a pdf isn't what most of us find necessary. It is the thinking that a pdf is a truly viable means of an interchangeable format. It isnt. At best it is a necessary evil when there is no other means of porting content from one application to another.

Do you believe it is delusional to think that the only thing that works when nothing else does is somehow not a viable solution?

Affinity Photo 

Read my lips...it (editing a pdf) is a necessary evil when there does not exist an import filter. I never said otherwise.

Serif is going for as much Adobe business as is possible. There will be at least a rudimentary import filter for ID files. If not in APub initially, it will appear later on.

That will make it more tempting for ID users to at least investigate and perhaps make the switch. This is no different than PS users...do you think many Adobe PS users would even consider APhoto if there wasn't a PSD import/export filter? Now, PSD may not be important for you, but it is to many. The same will apply to ID users.

But all that could be said about PP as well. They are just not an important enough user base to Serif evidently else they would do so.

Anything else about this topic is just flapping the tongue. This is my last post in this thread.

• 1 year later...

I really wish Affinity Publisher would open Page Plus files. I quit inDesign precisely because Adobe jettisoned Page Maker without making past versions compatible with their new fancy upgrades. I had to remake all my files three times over the years until I ran out of patience and dumped the program completely. It is a real shame that Affinity, aka Serif, does not value their past customers more than the customers of their rivals. It probably will make you more money but it will alienate your past clients. Maybe you haven't been paying attention to Amazon which values their customers above all else. Page Plus is a great program and those of us who adopted it should be honored with the courtesy and respect we deserve. You should make a conversion easily possible from PagePlus. It is the least you can do for us who have supported you.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul,

I fully agree with your feelings. When PageMaker went away, we moved to PagePlus. Over the years, we have raved to our friends how great PagePlus is for desktop publishing. Our entire publishing effort is presently centered around it, and we have thousands of PagePlus PPP files that will now be married to PagePlus, evidently never to be opened by Affinity Publisher. Yes, PagePlus did have some issues that a makeover could fix. However, we are presently in a state of limbo. PagePlus is now something of the past (legacy), and Affinity Publisher is yet in its infancy. Our PPX9 files are rather complex, and a plugin or something of the sort is not just a dream—it's an absolute necessity. We are just a little more than nervous as we are forced to continue building our more complex publications in a format that is seemingly headed to the graveyard. Thanks for sharing.

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, pilates-powers said:

Please, I have published several books with Page Plus. It is a waste not to be able to convert them into Affinity.

Your conversion path now, and for the foreseeable future, is to use Page Plus to export them as PDF files, then import (and massage) the PDF into Publisher. Or, just keep working in Page Plus for those books; it should still run.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Your conversion path now, and for the foreseeable future, is to use Page Plus to export them as PDF files, then import (and massage) the PDF into Publisher. Or, just keep working in Page Plus for those books; it should still run.

It still works. Will check on these PDF option. Just bought Affinity today.

• 4 weeks later...

@ali abbas

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

Your question concerns one of the products in the Serif Legacy range and should be posted to the Legacy forum "Community Plus" here.  (You will need to register there to be able to post.)

HTH
Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• 1 month later...

@Jean Renoux

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

It is a pity that your first post to the Affinity forums should be, essentially, a rant.  In my opinion, and from personal experience, Serif support does not stink.  If you read carefully through quite a large number of posts in the forum you will quickly discover that it is perfectly feasible, perhaps not ideal but still feasible, to export from PagePlus to pdf and then open that pdf in Publisher or Designer, if appropriate.  You will also discover a little more about why it has not, so far, been possible for Serif to create a PagePlus to Affiinity convertor.  

The reason for this is, basically, the brief for the complete Affinity Suite was to create a ground-up, cross-platform "brand new" software platform, capable of taking Serif software to a much wider audience.  The old Plus products were, and are, Windows only and simply could not be "converted/updated/whatever" to meet the demands of this brief.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.