You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pressure Sensitivity Issues 1.6.3 and .4

Hi there,

really nice additions! Thank you … :)

Unfortunately, I am experiencing some pressure sensitive issues with the new Beta. Though the initial “blob” at the beginning of a stroke has gone, two other issues arised:

• Pressure release doesn’t work as expected. Or you could say, it is very laggy. Compare my first screen shots. I tried drawing the same character with (basically) the same brush in the latest Beta and in the App Store version. At the point where I release the pressure from the pencil tip, the stroke doesn’t get thinner in the Beta version. I know this is somewhat hard to understand without being able to see what I am doing, but I hope you can reproduce this. Just draw the letter with applying pressure only in the downward movement that creates the letter stem. (Well, my second drawing isn’t “perfect,” of course … it is quite jittery …, but I meant to say the App Store version is working perfectly …)
  • Minimum pressure creates lines that are too thick. When you let the pencil slide over the display, with only the weight of the pencil itself causing pressure on the tip, you should expect that the line you are drawing is very thin. Say, one pixel or so. This is the case in the App Store version (see my second screen shot). But in the Beta, this doesn’t work anymore. You will get a considerably thick line, say, at least ten pixels or so, when the weight of the pencil is the only source of pressure.

I hope you can reproduce this …  :unsure:

Alex

post-1198-0-25698400-1498738988_thumb.png

post-1198-0-82204000-1498738994_thumb.png

I can not reproduce the issues here. I just checked and pressure is working as expected for me. The start blob from dynamics options is gone now for me though, which is great.

Maybe double check the brush settings, or show what brush/brush options you have? I believe the brushes are totally reset between builds.

Thank you for taking the time to reply …  :)

Okay, after downloading the new beta version, these are my findings:

• The second issue is gone now. It might have had to do with a misconfigured pressure profile.
  • However, the first issue is still there, and I am really sad about the new behavior. First off, there is no doubt that pressure sensitivity does work in the new beta. But it seems clear to me that something has changed from the App Store version, and not for the better, as far as I am concerned. I would be happy if someone else could confirm what I am experiencing.

Maybe someone would be so kind and perform a simple test. Draw the following loop, using a standard pressure sensitive brush, for instance one of the brushes made by Paolo Limoncelli (DAUB), with pressure only applied to the downward stroke. If possible, try it in the App Store version as well as in the latest beta, and tell me if you see the same or different results. My results are shown below. Even when I am drawing this loop in Procreate, with a super-stiff pressure curve, I can get the intended result, while the beta feels simply wrong.

Or maybe I am doing something completely wrong … hmm … but I cannot explain the differences, and it is needless to say, that you cannot do any sort of calligraphy with the present behavior … hmm …  :unsure:

Alex :(  

post-1198-0-30862800-1498808527_thumb.png

post-1198-0-33070100-1498808536_thumb.png

post-1198-0-17080900-1498808577_thumb.png

I can reproduce this issue, and I think I know what is causing it it.

I believe this is a result of the fix for the blob at the start of the brush.

It appears like there is an interval where it is starting at a low value and working its way up to what it reads for the dynamics setting. It feels like this is a set time period. IE if I stroke slow the period of ramp up will all be at the beginning of the stroke and everything looks normal. If I am fast with my stroke, the ramp up period shows through out my stroke.

For the devs: I have found an easy way you test if these dynamics options are working as expected is to set the Size dynamic option to Velocity/Velocity inverse. Its very easy to move your stroke across the screen at an even consistent rate. Doing this clearly shows the previous blob issue, and this "ramp up" issue. And while I think it goes without saying, I can produce all of this issues on the Mac version of AP too.

If I am correct about there being some sort of time based ramp up, then maybe dramatically shorten it or consider a ramp up based on pixel/screen space movement? Just thinking out loud :)

Thank you so much for confirming this issue. You are right, it seems to be a timing issue arising from the new method that is used to suppress the initial blob. There must be a way to get rid of this blob, without affecting the brush dynamics. I really hope your additional insights will help the developers to sort this out. Highly appreciated … :)

• 2 weeks later...

Let me bumb this up …  :(

Hmm. I wonder why hardly anybody else is concerned by this issue. It seems pretty problematic to me. Using a time-ramp of this kind cannot be the solution for removing the initial blob. Anyway, I know there are quite a lot of other things to do, but it would be nice to know if this is still on your radar …  :mellow:

Cheers, Alex  :)

On 7/13/2017 at 0:16 AM, A_B_C said:

Let me bumb this up …  :(

Hmm. I wonder why hardly anybody else is concerned by this issue. It seems pretty problematic to me. Using a time-ramp of this kind cannot be the solution for removing the initial blob. Anyway, I know there are quite a lot of other things to do, but it would be nice to know if this is still on your radar …  :mellow:

Cheers, Alex  :)

I agree this issue needs to be fixed. Sending this issue to https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/profile/7-andy-somerfield/ may get it fixed faster.

Well, I would assume Andy is following this thread quite closely … ;-)

Nonetheless, I am happy that at least some other people are concerned by this as much as I am … :-)

Thank you, Alex :-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2017 at 5:24 AM, A_B_C said:

Hi there,

really nice additions! Thank you … :)

Unfortunately, I am experiencing some pressure sensitive issues with the new Beta. Though the initial “blob” at the beginning of a stroke has gone, two other issues arised:

• Pressure release doesn’t work as expected. Or you could say, it is very laggy. Compare my first screen shots. I tried drawing the same character with (basically) the same brush in the latest Beta and in the App Store version. At the point where I release the pressure from the pencil tip, the stroke doesn’t get thinner in the Beta version. I know this is somewhat hard to understand without being able to see what I am doing, but I hope you can reproduce this. Just draw the letter with applying pressure only in the downward movement that creates the letter stem. (Well, my second drawing isn’t “perfect,” of course … it is quite jittery …, but I meant to say the App Store version is working perfectly …)
  • Minimum pressure creates lines that are too thick. When you let the pencil slide over the display, with only the weight of the pencil itself causing pressure on the tip, you should expect that the line you are drawing is very thin. Say, one pixel or so. This is the case in the App Store version (see my second screen shot). But in the Beta, this doesn’t work anymore. You will get a considerably thick line, say, at least ten pixels or so, when the weight of the pencil is the only source of pressure.

I hope you can reproduce this …  :unsure:

Alex

post-1198-0-25698400-1498738988_thumb.png

post-1198-0-82204000-1498738994_thumb.png

It might be helpful in isolating the issue/bug if A_B_C connects his iPad to a Mac, opens Console app and clicks on the iPad. Then reproduces the bug on the iPad, after that go to the Console app select the whole log using log using "⌘ Command A" to select all of the log then "⌘ Command C" to copy the log. After that you can send the Staff a Private message with the log pasted "⌘ Command P" into the message body

Okay, I tried what you suggested, but I doubt the log files will be of any interest for the developers. There are no significant messages relating to the pencil action and basically no error messages. I just wished to know what the developers think of this issue. I still am under the impression that this is an undesired side-effect of solving the “blob” issue at the beginning of a stroke, for the first App Store version was fine, while the betas exhibit the issue since the “blob” problem was solved … :/

12 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Okay, I tried what you suggested, but I doubt the log files will be of any interest for the developers. There are no significant messages relating to the pencil action and basically no error messages. I just wished to know what the developers think of this issue. I still am under the impression that this is an undesired side-effect of solving the “blob” issue at the beginning of a stroke, for the first App Store version was fine, while the betas exhibit the issue since the “blob” problem was solved … :/

Has Affinity Photo - iPad 1.6.4 (Beta 3) made any difference. here is the latest change log. change log

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for that … but I fear I am not entirely convinced. There is a certain improvement, but when you are drawing faster strokes, there is still a pressure falloff lag that is not present in, for instance, Procreate. I don’t know how the Procreate guys are doing this, but their pressure management feels snappier and smoother at the same time. Curious. I imagine they have a better formula for taking the velocity factor into account. But this is just guesswork.

As a side note, I am almost sure there is no app that will display, in a numerical fashion, the current pressure applied with the Apple pencil to the display surface. If there was such an app, we could perhaps open this app in split screen mode and make a screen cast that would allow to record the drawing action together with the pressure information. Hmm. :/

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.