You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

import vector image on A. Design for Mac

I can't seem to import a vector image from photoshop to Affinity Designer without it turning into a pixel image... I'm drawing .svg and .psd files and I need to "convert to curves" so that I can create a logo with image pattern inside like so (see link below) ... how do I do this??

yout

ube.com/watch?v=3rIk

Gcfp_ko

• Staff

Hi TeaLynnM,

Welcome to the forums.

Affinity Designer doesn't have an auto trace feature yet, so it can't convert a pixel selection into vector graphics. This is on our roadmap to be a future feature. To convert text, right click and select Convert to Curves, you will notice the layer updates on the Layers panel.

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:37 AM, TeaLynnM said:

I can't seem to import a vector image from photoshop to Affinity Designer without it turning into a pixel image... I'm drawing .svg and .psd files and I need to "convert to curves" so that I can create a logo with image pattern inside like so (see link below) ... how do I do this??

youtube.com/watch?v=3rIkGcfp_ko

If your input is really a pixel design...

1.here is a forum post where auto trace solutions are described:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/37927-converting-pixel-drawing-to-vector/?p=195315

2.Or if it is as simple as "WOOD" like in the youtube video, just re-create in AD using a text font. That is how the youtube vid starts out anyway.

3. Or use the AD Pen tool to create the vector shape from your pixel input design. As a new AD user, you will forever appreciate learning the pen tool.

:)

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

• 2 months later...

"I can't seem to import a vector image from photoshop to Affinity Designer without it turning into a pixel image... I'm drawing .svg and .psd files and I need to "convert to curves" so that I can create a logo with image pattern inside like so (see link below) ... how do I do this??"

I am having a similar problem with my own vector images. I have a library of maps that I created with the desktop version of Affinity Designer, and regardless of what format (including the original afdesign or pdf) I choose to export them, the result is a grainy series of pixels. Even if I select an individual vector item, such as a line, it still appears as a series of pixels, rather than a smooth line.

Have I simply purchased the wrong software?

19 hours ago, histdd said:

Even if I select an individual vector item, such as a line, it still appears as a series of pixels, rather than a smooth line.

Where (in what app) does it have that appearance? Is it the same for all apps?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 29/06/2017 at 5:26 PM, jer said:

As a new AD user, you will forever appreciate learning the pen tool.

:)

As a user of any vector drawing application, you will forever appreciate learning the pen tool.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 years later...
On 6/29/2017 at 6:18 AM, Lee D said:

Hi TeaLynnM,

Welcome to the forums.

Affinity Designer doesn't have an auto trace feature yet, so it can't convert a pixel selection into vector graphics. This is on our roadmap to be a future feature. To convert text, right click and select Convert to Curves, you will notice the layer updates on the Layers panel.

Greetings, I see the date of the posting is several years old. In the 90s Adobe and Altsys was in a war who can do autotrace best because they understood that was a key defining feature. Currently I have to jump through many painful hoops with several programs to bring (full color) autotrace artwork into AD/AP. Hoping 2019 be the year autotrace lives. Please put autotrace at top of your to do list. Thanks.

27 minutes ago, meitnik said:

In the 90s Adobe and Altsys was in a war who can do autotrace best because they understood that was a key defining feature.

Yes ... and there are many among us who think they still haven't got it right. xD

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7