You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.0.74

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features
Requirements: A valid product key, issued when Windows Affinity Designer version 1.5 was purchased.

This is the third beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• More light UI fixes
  • Fixed failure to hit rotation centre if the object had a transform
  • Fixed no input being received from some Huion tablet devices
  • Improved UI responsiveness when panning or zooming during complex operations
  • Fixed right clicking thumbnails in the Layers panel deselects multiple-selected objects
  • Fixed colour chooser dialog failing to show waterfall after applying gradient
  • Fixed panel resizing behaves differently to macOS version
  • Fixed Brush Dynamic profiles not drawing correctly when first node is above zero
  • Fixed cursor not being visible over UI when using brush stabiliser
  • Fixed object moves in Layers panel when attempting to select it when scrollbar is visible
  • Fixed text justification when a line-break is on the last line
  • Fixed Transform & Navigator Panels overlapping when detached

More Fantastic Work!..thank you.. :)

I immediately noticed a couple of things... [AD]

1. a bit odd..the Colour Well ...on the colour palette appears to have a pix elated grainy border and looks smaller than previous versions. Whereas on the active version [1.5.3.69] it is a smooth line.

2. Dragging objects with Wacom pen is still leaving artefacts on screen as you drag an object.

3. In Text Style Palette: Adding/Switching on 'display samples' Degrades the visible text in Panel (Strong Emphasis sample 5pt) is almost un-readable

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Tried this version with my tablet XP-Pen Star03 (Ugee M708) and the new tablet implementation enabled. (latest driver: Dec 29 - 2016 - V8.1.2016.1002, WinTab32 V8.1.2016.906 / 10x6”, 2048-levels, System: Windows 8.1 x64 + 8GB RAM + Geforce 755M + SSD)

In first 1.6 version, the application always crashed with new tablet implementation (consumed all memory).

This version works in some cases - and very well, but there are still problems.

Tablet driver allows switching "Supports Digital Ink" option on. With this option enabled the application hangs as previously.

When the switch "Supports Digital Ink" is off (I believe it uses only Wintab) it is possible to draw on canvas with all features (stabilizer, improved precision...). But there are some problems still. Starting drawing with pixel brush without pixel layer leads to long freeze (sometimes hangs). The first stroke on pre-created pixel layer tends to create a line which is partially leading to left lower corner. Following strokes seems fine. Switching to another application with tablet support could also cause a freeze of the designer.

I have had problems to open a few psds only with images in png never had problems, everything is wonderful, I hope they solve it soon

But very good job

post-54917-0-10599700-1498683338_thumb.png

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dell Laptop G3 15.6" Core i5 10a. Gen. 16GB RAM, 1TB DD + 256 SSD, NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 Ti, Windows 11

Great to see another progress beta -- thanks.

Here's a rather serious problem, though. I think it's been reported on Photo Beta, but the same shows up in Designer.

As you can see in the images, 'hot' or highlight  portions of the image get color-inverted and otherwise blown. I'm showing  you how my long-term test image looks in released and Beta versions.

In Photo, reducing the Exposure just a trifle removes the problem -- but also lowers overall image exposure quite a jump. 

Increasing Exposure has the bad effect growing wider, increasing very rapidly.

Moving Exposure on the released version works as expected -- gradual decrease or increase of uniform intensity, with no color inversions or shifts.

Looks like something fundamental to both products on the rendering went awry at the last minute, and without a highlights test image, was missed.

Cheers and fortune,

Clive

post-32200-0-36941600-1498693752_thumb.png

post-32200-0-70932700-1498693792_thumb.png

• Staff

I have had problems to open a few psds only with images in png never had problems, everything is wonderful, I hope they solve it soon
But very good job

Hi Dreyko,

For us to be able to solve the problems you need to be as clear as possible as about the problem? Is problem this new to 1.6.0.74 or does it occur in 1.5.0.69? Would you be able to attach a PSD that is incorrect please?

• Staff

More Fantastic Work!..thank you.. :)

I immediately noticed a couple of things... [AD]

1. a bit odd..the Colour Well ...on the colour palette appears to have a pix elated grainy border and looks smaller than previous versions. Whereas on the active version [1.5.3.69] it is a smooth line.

2. Dragging objects with Wacom pen is still leaving artefacts on screen as you drag an object.

3. In Text Style Palette: Adding/Switching on 'display samples' Degrades the visible text in Panel (Strong Emphasis sample 5pt) is almost un-readable

Hi Stuart,

Number 2 is a known issue and with development, however I've reproduced the other two so will get them passed on.

• Staff

Great to see another progress beta -- thanks.

Here's a rather serious problem, though. I think it's been reported on Photo Beta, but the same shows up in Designer.

As you can see in the images, 'hot' or highlight  portions of the image get color-inverted and otherwise blown. I'm showing  you how my long-term test image looks in released and Beta versions.

In Photo, reducing the Exposure just a trifle removes the problem -- but also lowers overall image exposure quite a jump. 

Increasing Exposure has the bad effect growing wider, increasing very rapidly.

Moving Exposure on the released version works as expected -- gradual decrease or increase of uniform intensity, with no color inversions or shifts.

Looks like something fundamental to both products on the rendering went awry at the last minute, and without a highlights test image, was missed.

Cheers and fortune,

Clive

Hi Clive,

Would you be able to attach the document shown in your screenshots so we can take a look into the issue please?

QA, here are two. One is the root Design test file I've been running for months.

The other is a Photo file that was made from this, also months ago.

A couple of notes:

• due to the way this goofy file uploader works, I managed to create two links to the Design file. Be aware there's only one Design file.
  • Ths material in the files begins with a painting by a famous Chinese artist which i really liked. There are no rights gained to this image, so it's important that the file doesn't go anywhere but in your test and development area.  Thanks.
  • Both files appear to exhibit the same render issues, which should be very apparent to you -- especially if you tweak the Exposure up and down on the Photo version. Just below centered Exposure, the problem goes away, so don't think you've fixed it, and I would say, don't save the files.
  • With the files as they are, raising Exposure just a little really spreads the misrendered areas. It's very sensitive.
  • These bad effects didn't occur with the previous Beta (62?).
  • They don't appear whatsoever on the 1.5.x release -- Exposure varies smoothly as it should, and with no color inversion even in blowout.

Regards,

Clive

hart.afdesign

hart.afdesign

hart.afphoto

Hi Sean,

Are you able to tell us if there are any other fixes besides the ones listed above? I mean the many problems already reported here in the forums. I'm reluctant to install this new beta because of the file compatibility issues. Thanks.

Hi Sean,

Are you able to tell us if there are any other fixes besides the ones listed above? I mean the many problems already reported here in the forums. I'm reluctant to install this new beta because of the file compatibility issues. Thanks.

Do you have a problem in mind? That list is the complete list of changes for this version.

Yes, I keep track of many bugs which are not fixed yet, several of which are reported here in the forums already for some time. For exemple, there are serious problems with constraints, symbols and the Export persona, in addition to several performance issues, frequent crashes and many other issues. Can you tell us if these bugs are curently being addressed at all? Thanks.

Please?

We have a database of issues, and we work through them, usually concentrating on the issues affecting the majority of users first. We will get round to fixing these issues, but as I'm sure you can appreciate, we're very busy - we're definitely not ignoring you, or your problems. Thanks.