Sign in to follow this  
pbass

Symmetric, Repeatable Curves

Hi there,

When you're adjusting a curve with the node handles,

Is there any way to

a) make the opposite handle follow your adjustment as exact mirror image – i.e., so the two sides of a curve are perfectly symmetrical?

and 

b) have the handles themselves snap to grid? So that the curve can be repeated perfectly, on another node?

I'm imagining this could be invoked with Control or Command

Thanks!

Hello pbass,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

1) No, not possible yet as you're describing (real time mirroring). But if you press shift while you are adjusting the lenght of one handle it will snap to the same lenght as the other (one vertical line will appear in each handle to let you know that both have the same lenght)

2) No, currently Affinity Designer doesn't snap the control handles to the grid (yet). This was already requested a couple times and it will be looked at later along as some more snapping features/improvements.

MEB wrote:

But if you press shift while you are adjusting the lenght of one handle it will snap to the same lenght as the other (one vertical line will appear in each handle to let you know that both have the same lenght)

Thanks MEB, that's helpful.

I'm slowly exploring AD and having a blast doing it. 

The inclusion of many the many raster tools is extremely useful to me.

I can't wait to see your quality software develop over the coming months & years.

Cheers,

- pbass

In case Serif is prioritizing feature implementation based on user demand, please add my vote for what pbass is describing. Quick handle symmetry and handles snapping to grid are both important to me. I now understand that the first part can be accomplished with the shift key (thanks for the tip, MEB!), but it's still slower and less predictable than simply pressing shift while dragging one handle and having both extend out together.