You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Better Support for Apple Photos App

Good morning,

after I did some tests with Affinity Photo on my iMac I decided to wait for the new iPad Version. Bought now Affinity Photo for iPad and a new 12,9" iPad Pro :-)

• However, I´m missing the Support to edit Photos from within the Apple Photos App using the Extension function.
  • Also when using Affinity Photos and opening photos from Apples Photos (iCloud) from the App there is only a very small PopUp to open a photo. Hopefully there will be a better / bigger overview in the future. I´m handling all my photos with Apples Photo App (>40k photos) and it will be tricky to find a photo
  • Please integreate the function to "overwrite" an already existing photo with the edited one keeping the possibility to reset changes later on. This was one of the most interesting functions for me using Affinity Photo on my iMac as I don´t need to Keep duplicates (edited and non edited Versions)

Hope I could make clear what I´m missing and looking forward for your comments and hopefully improvements with the next update.

Thx., Michael

• 3 weeks later...

+1 to all 3 plus they need to open native affinity file from iCloud in affinity instead of import every time. The different is simple. When you open in affinity you work in the same file and then you are not creative another copy unless you don't have internet access. I have the same function in Pixelmator and work wonderfully.

Instead if you import you are creating every time a new file. Nit really useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like the first and third features to be incorporated at the earliest. Without them, AP is much less usable. If fact because of the lack of the third feature of overwriting the original photo, I have more or less stopped using AP since I cannot offers to have hundreds of duplicate photos cluttering up my already large library. I do hope these features will be incorporated soon. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I've registered just to suggest this.

The best thing about photos app is the built-in non destruction. The original is kept and reverting all changes made to a file is just one tap away. I'd love AP to use extension that would open full interface and save all changes I make to iCloud Photos with the option to additionally keep a copy in AP for further changes (keeping the copy in sync with photos app would also be amazing)

Also, as iPhone is my camera of choice, this is also my workflow of choice as all my photos are in photos app.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Really missing progress here, wish I could easily without any workarounds open RAW and / or JPEG files from iOS photos in Affinity Designer or Photo and as easily save the changes back….other apps manage to do that (e.g. darkroom) but I‘d really prefer to stay within my trusted affinity suite…

• 3 months later...

I've mentioned this a fair bit in the past too, although it doesn't seem to be something of great priority. It's preventing me from making any real use of Affinity these days, although I own it on both macOS and iPadOS, it's the iPad I work on the most now (being far more up-to-date, faster and better resolution).

I'm only a 'hobbyist', so don't really miss the advanced features that much. With a variety of other apps, such as Raw Power and Pixelmator integrating well with Photos, there are ways and means. It's a shame I think, that I've never really bothered to learn that much of Affinity's capabilities, as I just can't make it work well in my system.

I’ve also created an account specifically to request this — point #3 from the OP’s request. I use Pixelmator Photo on iPad and love the UI, but Affinity Photo is more powerful. I wish I could use it the same way: open the app, see my Apple Photos photo library just like it appears within the native Photos app, select an image and edit it, and the changes get saved back to Apple Photos and are now part of my photo library on all my devices. For me, Apple Photos is the central library managing storage, sync, metadata, face recognition of family members, etc — and other apps are editing helpers when the native Apple Photos editing tools like contrast etc aren’t enough. I’m not a casual user, I have several tens of thousands of images and I’m quite happy using Apple Photos as my catalog and using other apps as helpers for editing, retouching etc. I do fairly advanced work with portraits and wildlife photography in particular. On the mac, Affinity works brilliantly via external edit sessions, but on iPad, it just ends up being an app I don’t use, due to the lack of seamless integration with the Apple Photos library. I’m happy to answer any questions or clarify.

• 5 months later...
On 10/8/2022 at 10:11 PM, noidplz said:

Clear bump here, I‘d guess a lot of us hobbyists use the photos app to manage our libraries, the current system to open/save photos is a real hassle and the APIs should allow for a way better integration. Plz address this!

Yes, I agree, it's really about time now. I basically have Affinity Photo sat on my devices being completely unused for some time now. This thread was started over four years ago, and no sign of any kind of attempt to address this.

The inability to open an image in AP from the Photos library, and save it back after editing, is so much of a stumbling block. For sure there are 'workarounds' to partially fix it, but not to any extent that makes this usable on anything kind of useful scale.

Clearly the routine is possible, as other apps do have such capabilities.

1 hour ago, mrqasq said:

Im curious to see if this could be handled with shortcuts. I know they are powerfull, but I'm not sure this could be done. Did any1 try it maybe?

Yes, I did this previously although an iOS update broke the shortcut. Would have to review it to see what needs change to get it working again. It only allowed you to share a photo from the photo library to Affinity Photo, it wouldn't let you save back over the top of the original image.