You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mapping flat image on a bottle shape

I'm struggling with a rather simple task.

I have an image and I need to distort it so like it looks like being wrapped around a bottle shape. You know what I mean... the sides are a bit pushed, the verticael center remains 1:1. Is there a way how to achieve this in AP or AD? Both Distort filter and Liquify persona provide results that are far from precise, editing curve nodes with image nested inside does not morph the image... I'm clueless.

Maybe some advanced Equations filter inputs..?

Thanks for any tips.

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Use the Mesh Warp tool (AP).

Drop in a vertical centerline, move the side/corner points in and play with the handles (of all points, including the center).

There is no symmetry snapping while using the tool, so it's still not going to be perfect. Use some guides (which I didn't) and eyeball it. Should be fine.

Original 

post-12544-0-71014800-1498598135_thumb.png

Curved

(quick and dirty... and I used bilateral resample method. Bicubic should be better)(...added a bit of shading too ;) )

post-12544-0-85873000-1498598133_thumb.png

Edit: Come to think of it, you probably don't need the centerline at all... (even if it does give you two more points of control).

This one was done using just the four corners. Horizontal handles shortened and moved straight up and down.

post-12544-0-38855600-1498689075_thumb.png

Sadly there is no cylindrical distort filter so mesh as detailed above is the only option. Pity because it's rather fiddly and tedious. I find this strange because there is a spherical warp filter and a cylindrical warp is the same geometry applied to a single axis. I put in a feature request long ago to have this added to the spherical warp filter. No idea if anyone has taken it seriously. From a totally ignorant armchair view I can't believe it would be hard to code. Keeping my fingers crossed for next release.