You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thread is dead now?

It seams that further development is not happening right now!

i loved this peace of software , but it is not usable for professional purposes ... its a pity but i will follow from time to time whats the progess here

Best regards

AP 1.5.1 / 1.6.x.x BETA , C1 , Lenovo W541 , Wacom Intuos Pro (S / M (new))

....There should be another new beta out soon.

Which officially...

"...is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing."

So it will not address the OP's problem regarding     "...it is not usable for professional purposes"

We need new fully supported released versions that can be used for production and commercial purposes

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

It seams that further development is not happening right now!

i loved this peace of software , but it is not usable for professional purposes ... its a pity but i will follow from time to time whats the progess here

Best regards

What gives you that impression? We're constantly working on the software, and I've just finished another beta build that will be handed over to QA for testing, before being released to customers (hopefully tomorrow).

What problems are you experiencing?

Thanks,

• Staff

Which officially...

"...is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing."

So it will not address the OP's problem regarding     "...it is not usable for professional purposes"

We need new fully supported released versions that can be used for production and commercial purposes

The Beta is a step forward in that direction and means the development is going forward which was the OP's original concern - note this is the Beta section of the forums.

It must still be tested before being released publicly but we can't move any faster than this. We are already working as fast as we can.

MEB,

I don't know what the OP is referring to about not being ready for professional purposes, and I (like, I'm sure, many others on this forum) believe you guys are not only moving fast, but rocking.

The thing is, is not how fast you guys move, rather, what's the direction. You seem to be focusing on several aspects, from new features to new products.

Considered your resources are limited, it's concerning that there's so much in the plate when Affinity Photo, one of the two main flagships, suffers from stability and performance issues. I guess marketing wise (and money wise) Serif now needs to gather as many users as possible and strike the iron when is hot, which makes sense to some extent, but marketing it's been wrong many times in the history as it usually focuses on short term success.

There's a thread here which would benefit from some hints from one of you moderators:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/42672-still-no-real-love-for-affinity/

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

• Staff

Hi verysame,

I understand what you mean but it's not only about direction no matter how we want to look at it. This is a commercial software and to keep it profitable and sustainable in the long term (in particular considering the prices we have) we need to rely on sales. Some commercial opportunities cannot be simply ignored - a demo on WWDC or supporting emerging (popular) platforms - all help to spread the word about the app, raise sales and fund further development. If we were relying exclusively on professional users and their needs (in particular in this initial phase), most of which dependent on heavily tested/safe workflows it would be really hard to move forward. We must find a balance between fulfilling their demands/requirements and sustain the development through sales/marketing for a larger user base. Things may move a little slower this way but they move at a steady/solid pace. I think most of the frustration comes from the high expectations some users have when they change from Photoshop or Illustrator - programs which have been in development (and fine-tuned) for decades - and start with Affinity. It's completely impossible to cover everything in such a short amount of time with the resources we have. The same regarding achieving stability on such a large and diverse platform as Windows. 

Popular platforms / a larger user base help us to sustain Affinity's grow. We have and are still fixing bugs reported by users in order to increase stability and performance on Windows and hopefully things will become better as we fill the gaps to other apps/add more features for professionals as time permits.

MEB,

Thanks for your thorough explanation, I really appreciate it.

It seems my guess wasn't too off, and like I said it makes sense. I sincerely hope that your marketing strategy will pay off and that you guys will be able to deliver a solid release soon.

As for the frustration part, I just wanted to make clear that I personally don't feel frustrated because of the transition. I had to adapt to several graphic applications throughout my career and that part doesn't concern me. My frustration is only due to the fact that seeing how much better my workflow is with Affinity Photo and how much I enjoy using it, I only wish I could use it 100% of the time, and not only at home, hence I hoped for a deeper focus on what is AP's Achille heel, so to speak.

Best

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Well,  i know that there are commercial needs and thats ok. But when i talk about not usable for professional purposes there are 2 Reasons for that: first of all PERFORMANCE. This thing is really slow and if i have to wait for brush-strokes several seconds until they are finished and i can see the result. All this on a Graphic Workstation with a NVIDIA Quattro Graphic Card and plenty of RAM! In Comparision, Photoshop is quick and fluid.

And since 1.5 the latest Betas got even worse , if you use a Wacom Tablet every brush stroke (History Brush Tool) stops after a view seconds and has a delay for a view seconds , i do not want to work  so! My Problem is, that  i can not see any performance gains over the new realeases / Betas.Nobody can tell me that this thing is performant!

Second Point is Wacom input. I do a lot with Wacom.  But I think  that WACOM Support in this Software is poor.

And there is a additional Point as i posted earlier: using History Brush produces Artifacts and ugly Patterns. I know that it is a BETA Version , but i lost confidence in the algorithms.

The Feature List on the other  side is pretty well. I do not need a RAW Converter. There a better Options on the Market (e.g. C1 or even RAW Therapee).

My Point is, there is a need of a Photoshop Rival, and i think it goes a good way. But not now at this stage.

By the way, as a consumer of this product i should give my feedback. it is my opinion. Generally i understand the needs and time consuming work. Thats all ok, i further support you... :)

Thanks abphoto ;-)

Constantly amazed... I run AP on a 5 year old Toshiba laptop with built in graphics 8gb ram and a new SSD and my brush strokes are slick, fast and responsive. I also use a Wacom (old Bamboo Touch) and that also is faultless...

I am relieved, but constantly surprised at so many modern and powerful systems having performance issues.

Cheers, enjoy... P

Well, if only the op would enlighten us what he/ she meant with "not usable for professional purposes". I can confirm the Wacom issues as well as the performance shortcomings. But there is no way we can know if he/ she referred to those issues or something completely different.

Well, if only the op would enlighten us what he/ she meant with "not usable for professional purposes". I can confirm the Wacom issues as well as the performance shortcomings. But there is no way we can know if he/ she referred to those issues or something completely different.

It means that we make no guarantees about stability for the beta builds. You are likely to experience bugs and crashes, and as such, we don't recommend using this for any type of work that you aren't happy to lose.

It means that we make no guarantees about stability for the beta builds. You are likely to experience bugs and crashes, and as such, we don't recommend using this for any type of work that you aren't happy to lose.

Rather than referring to your usual disclaimer in the announcements for beta builds, I think @altae is referring to what has been written by the OP of this particular thread:

i loved this [piece of] software , but it is not usable for professional purposes

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks abphoto ;-)

Constantly amazed... I run AP on a 5 year old Toshiba laptop with built in graphics 8gb ram and a new SSD and my brush strokes are slick, fast and responsive. I also use a Wacom (old Bamboo Touch) and that also is faultless...

I am relieved, but constantly surprised at so many modern and powerful systems having performance issues.

Cheers, enjoy... P

maybe if you are using 16-20 MB Files ...

and please stop trolling....

Abphoto,

I do not troll. I use 13-23 Mb files fine.

I share information to assist Serif in improving their software. Perhaps my configuration is of use to their analysis of performance in comparison to yours which does not perform.

As ever individual configurations are the key. Software, OS components and hardware/drivers.

Perhaps rather than starting a thread with the patently incorrect statement 'It seams that further development is not happening right now!' you should spend some time working with Serif and assist with some detailed step-by-step process descriptions or files.

Chill out....

How does the Live Production version perform, identically?

Enjoy...

well , i try to Support too. i only think that e mac/iPad versions are better supported than the Windows versions. i tried to use AP instead of PS but there are really issues first of all in Performance. using 5-6 Layers in PS runs much much smoother. as i work the most time with brush in masking and history brush to manipulate local contrast it is essential to have a Kind of smooth working.and AP in this Moment does not!  Kinds of Fairness i have to say that i work with really large tiffs from Phaseone Backs and Sony A7RII files...

maybe in s view months dings are going to Change here , i would hope so ;) 

Rather than referring to your usual disclaimer in the announcements for beta builds, I think @altae is referring to what has been written by the OP of this particular thread:

Exactly. "not usable for professional purposes" is by no means a useful description of any problem. If I were the developer and were given only this "information" I would have absolutely no clue what to improve.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 10:46 AM, abphoto said:

well , i try to Support too. i only think that e mac/iPad versions are better supported than the Windows versions. i tried to use AP instead of PS but there are really issues first of all in Performance. using 5-6 Layers in PS runs much much smoother. as i work the most time with brush in masking and history brush to manipulate local contrast it is essential to have a Kind of smooth working.and AP in this Moment does not!  Kinds of Fairness i have to say that i work with really large tiffs from Phaseone Backs and Sony A7RII files...

maybe in s view months dings are going to Change here , i would hope so ;) 

at this stage, the mac version and the window's seems and feels like two separate application, on the mac is still ok, not faster than PS in any but a couple of ways, on windows is a wreck, a total disaster

Performance with huge files could definitely be improved on Windows, that's for sure. But a disaster? No, that's a huge exaggeration. What's more, without the specs of the PC on which Affinity Photo is used there is no way the devs can determine where the cause of the problem is. On my machine with 32 GB of Ram and an AMD FX-8350 CPU Affinity Photo runs decently, not very fast but it's definitely acceptable.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.