EZeemering

[AP] Colorization

38 posts in this topic

I prefer to work on photo's from my own collection. Like this one. I own the original negative, it was taken over 100 years ago somewhere in France. 

two-german-soldiers.png

MEB and mykee like this

Thanks MEB. More than happy to share my work while I still fiddle around with various techniques. Last two days I was playing around with AP's native blend mode instead of the cumbersome luminosity masks. Was a bit counter-intuitive at first but once you get the hang of it, it produces stellar results. I'll stick to them for a while ;) 

Background story here on my FB page.

alfred-schultheiss-export-wm.png

These are amazing. Could you post a before and after of one of the shots. I have some very old black and white photos and am unsure just what is achievable.

I already planned on doing that. This forum has it's emphasis on the how and not so much on the end-result. I have fine-tuned my workflow in 3 general steps. The scanning is not done in AP but the restoration of the original is. Second stage is masking all the areas and tone (colour) them. The masking is done with contrasting, and mostly wrong colours. If all the masking is done the colours are changed to correct colours. Final stage is colour grading and other post techniques very common to regular photography post production.

So here it is: life in the 20th century without Affinity Designer :D 

img570-3fold.png

15 hours ago, DM1 said:

These are amazing. Could you post a before and after of one of the shots. I have some very old black and white photos and am unsure just what is achievable.

You'd be surprised of what can be done. Why not post one, maybe I can give some advice.

Your examples, and this wonderful app AP, have inspired me to have a go. I have tried several methods today, so far with mixed results. I find the Recolour Adjustment not very effective as it only vary's hues with limited impact on B&W. Colour replacement works reasonably well, but is 'destructive' in nature. Creating a pixel layer and changing the layer option to colour, selecting a brush and a colour, then painting onto the layer is giving me a reasonable result but is currently very difficult to do due to the bug in the beta version. The bug makes it very difficult to choose (and retain) a colour. I will post a result here but suspect I will need to wait for the next beta which apparently fixes the colour selection bug.:/

You mention masking and toning to set initial colours. That sound interesting. Could you point me to where I might find more information relating to this technique?  I would not wish to take up too much of your time but any information you offer is greatly appreciated by this beginner!