You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] Colorization

EZeemering

Started a new project this weekend. 17 more to go before May ;)

Focus this time is to try to get different skin colours for each individual, instead of using the standard 'same trick'. Took me quite some time to find photo's of modern look-a-likes. Gonna take a while before I publish them all but just had to post something somewhere :D 

wip.png

• 3 weeks later...

I started publishing the series. Since the pilots all fell between 10 and 15 May. But then, of course, people with more historical knowledge than me pointed out some facts and I found new uniform references. So even though half of them are finished now they still need tweaks here and there. Luckily that's no problem for AF :)

XqMxvOjl.png

zJcg0wxl.png

3flhIl8l.png

• Staff

Brilliant (and inspiring) work as usual. I never tried a colorisation before. Maybe i will give it a try someday with a photo of a familiar i would like to recover. I bet it's harder than it looks (to get it done as it should). You seem to make this so easy... Thanks for keep sharing your work with us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/29/2019 at 12:04 PM, EZeemering said:

The fallen pilots project got published last weekend in the largest Financial newspaper in the Netherlands. Pretty stoked about it! 

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Hello, is there any possibility to watch your coloring techniques in Affinity? I'm so impressed by your work! Plus I am long time Photoshop user and, as you said, "learning new techniques along with new software is generally not a good idea." :) I am really struggling with it at the moment. Thanks! (And keep sharing your work, please!)

On 8/7/2019 at 3:48 PM, Katarina said:

Hello, is there any possibility to watch your coloring techniques in Affinity? I'm so impressed by your work! Plus I am long time Photoshop user and, as you said, "learning new techniques along with new software is generally not a good idea." :) I am really struggling with it at the moment. Thanks! (And keep sharing your work, please!)

Hi Katerina. No, sadly you can't watch it. I tried streaming from my MacBook but the combination of working plus streaming made my cooling fans go crazy. So the stream ended up with a annoying high pitched tone and my Mac over heating. In the mean time I invested in an iPad. I'll try streaming from it someday. But some basic video tutorials should be doable. 

I think the most important bit to colourising is the basic knowledge of colour theory. Software; Adobe or Affinity are just tools. For the end result it shouldn't matter which tool you choose. With that said what helped my progress real quick, was looking for tutorials about colour theory, especially about warm and cool colours and colour values. And colour theory is universal so it does not matter if the tutorial is made by a digital artist or an oil painter. 

To commemorate the 75th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands the Dutch Ministry of Defence asked to me colourise some photo's for their magazine. The magazine is all year round available in the stores. Also there's a monthly digital magazine with my work. 

Really cool project and very proud of it. 

0-1024x690.jpg

1-1024x683.jpg

2-1024x683.jpg

3-1024x683.jpg

On 8/7/2019 at 8:48 AM, Katarina said:

A simple way to do something very close is by using "Gradient map" with "soft light", "overlay", or other blend modes.

I start with the skin, usually with the hue about 35-40 and vary the saturation and lightness (all my colors are set in HSL mode)  until the skin colors look about right. Then I click <CTRL> + I to invert the mask of the gradient mask. Next I act like a 6 year old kid and color it in by painting with white where I want the skin color to be.

Remember the color on the right is the lightest color and the left is the darkest. You can also make the hair line  perfect by doing the same thing for the hair color then making the very lightest color equal to the lightest skin color. Then you just paint over the hair and try to "stay inside the lines. Works great.

Alternatively, you can select the area you wish to color, then use the flood fill tool filled with white.

Been learning more and more on my own. Never been able to get any help on any of the internet forums with questions about this. Thought I'd share my experience.

That's what I basically do. I set the base colour through a variety of layers including gradients and normal fills. I never use the select tools because it gives jagged edges, so I paint on the mask layers. After the whole image is done with he base colours I start with the detailing. And that brings the image really to life. And that's where the colour theory comes in to play, how does lightning effect colours and etc. 

I've learned everything myself. But asking questions has never hurt anyone. It will speed up the learning process if you watch or listen to other artists. 

5 hours ago, EZeemering said:

. . . I never use the select tools because it gives jagged edges, so I paint on the mask layers.

Same here, always the brush painting on the mask with one exception: Large areas (such as a cloth backdrop or similar) will get the flood filled selection for the sake of time.

What I've started doing of late is applying the gradient mask, but before I invert the mask for the gradient mask, I adjust it while paying attention to the area where it is going to be used. For instance a coat. I'll fiddle with the color in the gradient mask and blend modes until that one item looks correct. Then I invert the mask and paint in the item I wish to apply that gradient to.

Love your work, and I've actually learned by looking at your results where you've had the original and finished shots side by side. Thanks!

On 8/15/2019 at 2:35 PM, EZeemering said:

To commemorate the 75th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands the Dutch Ministry of Defence asked to me colourise some photo's for their magazine. The magazine is all year round available in the stores. Also there's a monthly digital magazine with my work. 

Really cool project and very proud of it. 

0-1024x690.jpg

1-1024x683.jpg

2-1024x683.jpg

3-1024x683.jpg

Great work, again. And it's a really interesting project! :)

Thank you both for the tips and advice! The truth is, there is no problem with Affinity, it's really user-friendly. I am probably just too lazy to learn new software ;).

I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge here. (I think that helping others can push you to become better at what you do ;) .)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Also last May the falling pilots were featured again in a magazine. The original project involved medium res photo's but now they are up-scaled to hi-res scans. Which is surprisingly easy in Affinity as long as you use non-destructive layers. Also minor tweaks and colour corrections. So yeah, fallen pilots 2.0 :) 

gezinsgids.jpg