You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] Colorization

EZeemering

Hi. Looong time Photoshop user here, my first PS came on floppy's. I still use Adobe professionally at work but I wanted a cheaper photo editor at home. An alternative who isn't bogged down with options I never use / touch. So Affinity it was! Black and white colorization was on my bucket list for a long time. So I used it to learn Affinity Photo. Learning new techniques along with new software is generally not a good idea. But AP passed on all fronts. I like it so much I even use it as my personal photo editor.

I'll update this thread from time to time if it's appreciated. 

6a987e52663133.591884855caba.png

aadece52980413.5923f76308a1d.png

8f585c53827187.594273c8923ab.png

Wow, all the nuances are taken care of, right down to the leather straps on the officer's (eating lunch) canteen (maybe binocular case?). You have a nice touch with Affinity Photo! :)

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Wow, all the nuances are taken care of

Yes, wonderful attention to minute details! thumbup1.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Awesome work

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Thx all. The following one was my first colouring ever. It took me days, not only spent time learning how to colour in the first place, but the hardest part was translating all that into new software. I saw all the official AP tutorial video's on Vimeo. I can do now 4 or 5, depending on complexity, in the same time. And not having fine tuned my workflow yet, there is room to speed it up even further.

ec7cb454315455.595618b2515b2.jpg

@EZeemering: Multiple-Choice Test:

a. These are your relatives

b. You are an Historian de Artiste

c. You looked for the most difficult examples you could find to learn AP and recoloring

:) :)

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

I did this one to practice on skin tones, one of the hardest parts of colorizing, painting or retouching. Think most artists will agree on that. I tried various techniques to get the skin tones, hope to fine tune the process in a couple of photo's more before I move on to the famous persons ;)

The subject is from another war, might be NSFW. 

post-54243-0-72843600-1499423649_thumb.jpg

Again! absolutely brilliant work!

Watched this today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-40523826/the-colourist-changing-the-appearance-of-historical-photos

Thought of you :)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, GarryP said:

Another really great piece of colourisation.

I'm sure there will be a lot of museums that could use your skills to give some of their photographic assets a new lease of life for presentations and displays. Oh, and Television companies use this sort of work a lot these days too.

Thx. That's true. In fact I'm currently working on one for a (small) museum. Also i'm in talks with the local archive for some stuff. Would love to do it more professionally, so I'll see where it takes from there. Thus far this is something I do in the evening hours besides my full-time job. 

1 hour ago, EZeemering said:

Thus far this is something I do in the evening hours besides my full-time job. 

It's worth it!!

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...