You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When and why to use the Develop Persona vs Photo Persona

HI Folks, this is my first post, and I'm a relative newcomer to photo editing.

Forgive me if this question is answered elsewhere.  I'm puzzled about the advantages in using the Develop Persona, as the facilities there seem to be a narrowed-down version of what's available in the Photo Persona.  I appreciate that the principle is that one works initially on a RAW file using DP and that RAW holds more information.  But, if I've worked on the RAW file already, why would I bother to take it to PP and then work on it again there?  

Can anyone point me to a good source of advice, or a tutorial about that?

Many thanks 

As a hobbyist photographer, I'm going to give you a non technical answer and just my usage workflow. After editing my raw photos and developing, I still need (in Photo Persona) to sometimes use the Brush Tool to fix green pet eyes in photos of my dogs (caused by flash). I also may need to occassionally use the Clone Tool. And these are just some examples, not my total usage of the Photo Persona following Develop Persona.

If you are happy with the file that comes out of develop persona then you don't need to use photo persona, except to export the photo. Photo persona lets you make adjustments to the photo that you can't do in develop persona, particularly involving layers. Have a look at some Affinity tutorials - most require layers and therefore must be done in photo persona.

Stan

To me, the main advantage of the Develop Persona is SPEED. It makes it a very powerful and productive tool.

All the adjustments are available in one place and all at once. There have been times in the past when I have had to edit two or three hundred photos to a tight deadline and 95% - 99% of the work could have been done in just the Develop Persona. Had I had Affinity.

post-59234-0-84811900-1498848046_thumb.png

To do all these adjustments in Photo you have to load half a dozen adjustments, one after the other. Here, like an editor in a music studio, you can tweak several sliders at once. AND! You don't end up with half a dozen layers everywhere (although you can get rid of them easily enough in Photo). These are not really the sort of adjustments that need a layer.

There is also a useful Split View or Mirror View so you can see a before and after view of what your adjustments are doing.

The overlay gradient is also very good and very fast. Just drag from the top and you can instantly (almost) darken just the sky. The normal overlay tool is also much quicker to use than the selecting and feathering routine in Photo. 

The Lens panel is also very clever. You can rotate, correct parallax, straighten, remove vignette and zoom in (to crop) all with a few sliders.

post-59234-0-51273600-1498861567_thumb.png

Yes. SPEED. And it's very easy to swap between Develop and Photo.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.