You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tamil Unicode issues in Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo

I tried to use Tamil Unicode Fonts in Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo.  But it is not coming properly.  Enclosed please find the respective files.  For your reference, I enclosed a Tamil Letters Image in .png format and I tried to upload the corresponding font file which is not allowed to upload in this forum.  When I am using the said font in Microsoft Office products, it is working fine.  But in Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, unicode Tamil fonts are not coming properly.  How to solve this issue, please let me know.

Tamil Unicode Characters issue in Affinity Designer.afdesign

Tamil Unicode Characters issue in Affinity Photo.afphoto

post-60822-0-43690400-1498549146_thumb.png

Tamil — Unicode Character Table.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, PalaMee. :)

I tried to upload the corresponding font file which is not allowed to upload in this forum.

For any file type which is not allowed as an attachment, add the file(s) to a *.zip or *.rar archive and then attach the archive.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

We aim to support GSUB and GPOS tables, but we don't currently support the morx table that a lot of complex script fonts use. If this is why your Tamil text isn't working, then I'm sorry but this is unlikely to be fixed for a long time. I can only suggest you try different fonts.

GSUB and GPOS tables are OpenType features; mort and morx are part of AAT (Apple Advanced Typography) rather than OpenType, so I'm not particularly surprised to see the Affinity apps lacking support for such features.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Adobe products had this issue earlier.  Now it is solved.  For resolving this issue in Adobe Products, we have to follow this path - Preferences -->  Type --> Text Engine and from the options, 'Middle Eastern' Text Engine has to be selected.  Previously it was 'East Asia'.  After that Tamil letters are getting displayed correctly.

In Adobe Products, The MENA (Middle East and North African) composer is the one that handles Arabic, Farsi and Hebrew.  Now it handles ten Indic Languages such as Tamil, Hindi, Malayalam, Bengali, Telugu, etc. 

Such a facility we require in Affinity Products.  Please give priority to this area to tap a huge market for Affinity Products.

Hi Arun,

Well, that's an "oops" on my part! I had only vague recollections that as stated above by PalaMee, that the Middle Eastern engine needed to be running in Adobe products.

Thanks for the clarification.

Btw, I might be in northern India yet this year or early next year. If we do make the trip, I believe we will have an extra week. If plans permit, I would love to venture down to Calcutta...if so, perhaps we can meet!

Mike

• 2 months later...

Any update regarding the Tamil Unicode Font Support?  When we will get the Indic Languages Font support in Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer?  Definitely before the release of Affinity Publisher, this support is required in all three products.

As I said before, this is unlikely to be fixed for a long time. By which I mean, several years. It won't be in the first release of Publisher. I'm sorry if it is something you absolutely need, but we have a lot of customers who don't use Indic languages.

• Staff
Just now, PalaMee said:

So Affinity products are not meant for India.  You are loosing a very big market.

Perhaps sadly so, but being a small company we are developing at a rate that we can support going forward. Over expansion is also dangerous. We aren't saying never, just when we are ready.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 6 months later...

I switched on to affinity from PS. In ps in preferences tab if we change settings to south east we can use telugu font. Unfirtunately there is no such option in affinity. Please work on this. Even if google indic keyboard works in affinity, it will be a great boost. Affinity with its price will have a very huge market in India. Please pay attention to indic languages. Indians are crazy about affordable and best. Please take this suggestion seriously. Other than this i love Affinity and congrats to the team 

Rajesh

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I found a workaround to this problem. You can use Inkscape to type the text. It shows up correctly there. Then go to Path > Object to Path. You should now be able to copy and paste your text for use in Affinity. I hope that's helpful.

@Affinity Team

Please add support for Tamil fonts. You really are missing out on a huge audience by not adding support for them.

• 7 months later...
On 10/3/2017 at 7:51 PM, Dave Harris said:

As I said before, this is unlikely to be fixed for a long time. By which I mean, several years. It won't be in the first release of Publisher. I'm sorry if it is something you absolutely need, but we have a lot of customers who don't use Indic languages.

If so than Affinity is loosing a big, market named India.

• 5 months later...

Right from Pageplus 8, till the latest Affinity 1.1 I observe a common issue The display of Tamil unicode fonts is not proper especially on conjuncts but when we print the text every thing is good. (I do not directly print with a printer conected to my pc but get a pdf which shows the text correct). In Publisher when a text is typed, in the work area it is not proper but in the text frame on the RHS panel, the typed word is shown correctly. So Tamil unicode is supported by Affinity. The team has to make it reflect on the work space . 

• Staff

@Dayal

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)  and thank you for the information.

Would you mind making a bug report with screenshots and a sample file in the appropriate bugs forum, thank you

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 months later...
On 10/3/2017 at 10:52 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Perhaps sadly so, but being a small company we are developing at a rate that we can support going forward. Over expansion is also dangerous. We aren't saying never, just when we are ready.

This is Sad I have purchased both Packages for Mac and Windows platforms, if this is the case there should have been a disclaimer ...when some is trying to purchase especially in India .. 

On 3/28/2020 at 7:30 AM, Venkatt Guhesan said:

+1 vote on the need to support Indic Fonts like Tamil.

It is sad that Serif Designer (v. 1.8.2) and Photo (v. 1.8.2) do not support it. (as of March 27, 2020).

Correct Tamil Rendition

WhatItShouldBe.jpg.9d067ac5e415fa7196bbb4b2b977b190.jpg

Bad Rendition in Affinity Photo

AffinityPhotoResult.jpg.269bc84a2ae04ff1e6a2e88f0c3efa66.jpg

It is really sad that Affinity should have given a disclaimer when some one form India is trying to purchase .. I have purchased for both Mac and windows platform... hope they do something about this ..