You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A photo Organizer that recognizes Affinity Files

I have read the threads already posted about alternatives to Bridge. I have checked several of them out, but I haven't found any that will work with the affinity file extension.  I just was playing with Pixave because It looked like that would work but alas I could not get it to work.  Is there anything out there?

Thanks

• Staff

Hi mberger,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go to menu XnView  Preferences ▸ General and tick Show all graphic formats. Restart de app and it should show previews for both Affinity Photo and Designer files.

Seems you already take a look at Pixave. You must have Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer installed on the same computer for Pixave to be able to preview .afdesign and .afphoto files.

Mac only, so don't know if its any help. Picked up Neo Finder a few weeks ago. Has handled everything so far, including Designer files. Fairly fast. Shows all the standard file info. Plus anything specific to the file type, such as EXIF data, Geotags, etc. Allows mass comments, use of controlled keywords. 1 down side, I only bought the individual use license, and the catalogues don't auto update.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

GraphicConverter for the Mac also supports viewing the Affinity Photo previews. I wrote a post on my blog about setting it up to open files from the browser in another program like Affinity Photo as there are a couple places in the preferences to specify a program.

David Voth

Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher ver. 2: macOS Sonoma and iPadOS 17

GraphicConverter for the Mac also supports viewing the Affinity Photo previews. I wrote a post on my blog about setting it up to open files from the browser in another program like Affinity Photo as there are a couple places in the preferences to specify a program.

I have GraphicConverter v9.7.6 (latest & last v9 version) installed on my iMac & configured as in your blog. However, only some .afphoto files show a preview image in GC's browser. Others just show the generic Affinity Photo document icon.

Any idea why?

So far, the only common factor I can see is that most of (but not all of) the ones that do not show a preview have no embedded EXIF metadata according to GC. Among those that do show a preview, the embedded EXIF metadata varies considerably -- some have embedded thumbnails, others not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I would suggest downloading the latest version of GraphicConverter 10 (now at 10.4.2 and note that ver. 10 is a paid upgrade). Try it as it works better showing previews of Affinity Photo files than initially.

David Voth

Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher ver. 2: macOS Sonoma and iPadOS 17

Go to menu XnView  Preferences ▸ General and tick Show all graphic formats. Restart de app and it should show previews for both Affinity Photo and Designer files.

Thanks for the info - I was all set to ditch XnViewMP!  Is it too early to ask what sort of import facilities are likely to be included in the Affinity DAM?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

I would suggest downloading the latest version of GraphicConverter 10 (now at 10.4.2 and note that ver. 10 is a paid upgrade). Try it as it works better showing previews of Affinity Photo files than initially.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't really use GC9 very often -- I bought it as part of a discount bundle of 6 apps for less than the retail price of GC alone, so I am not very motivated to spend anything on the upgrade to v10.

Mostly, I am just curious why only some .afphoto files displayed a preview in its browser.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7