You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Loving Affinity so far!

A quirk I can't find any info on in this forum relates to the appearance of the brush head when using the Surface Pen. (I'm on a Windows 10 Surface Studio.)

When selecting the overlay tool, my mouse's cursor will display the brush as I manipulate it around the file; when using the Pen it shows nothing -- though the tool itself still paints on the image. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi AliveIsTheCity,

I have tested this on my Surface Pro 3 and I have been unable to replicate the issue that you are encountering can you please let me know which build of Photo that you are using and also the RAW format of the file..

• 2 weeks later...

I get the same problem on a Surface 4 here. When using a mouse or keyboard with a trackpoint, everything is ok and the brush circle is shown. If I change brush size with the slider, the brush circle will however not return to the part of the image I'm working on when using the pen. Once I move the cursor back to the image area on the screen with mouse or trackpoint, the brush circle will be shown again, even when using the pen.

• 3 months later...

I'm having exactly the same problem with my Surface Pro 4. No brush circle with the pen. But brush circle fine with the mouse, If I start using the brush with the mouse, I can continue using the pens and the circle shows, but as soon as I take the pen out of the image, the circle disappears. 

So I am only using AFPh on my desktop computer with the wacom tablet, until this is fixed. I use the brush a lot for dodging and burning and masks. 

• Staff

The new Affinity beta 1.6.0.86 has several improvements what make the brush circle show quicker when the stylus is moved away from the screen and back again especially if you are using large brush sizes, The beta is available from here and we expect that the retail update to 1.6 will be release sometime next month.

The brush circle does not show on my Surface Pro 4 using 1.6.0.86. I wish this bug could be solved before 1.6 goes retail. 

Would it be possible for someone in development to verify this behaviour on a Surface Pro 4 with the Surface Pen. 

There is a new Surface Pen released this summer, I'd get that if it solved this problem, but it's the same technology. 

Perhaps the new Wacom/Microsoft developed Bamboo Pen would work, but it would be great if someone who has either of those two pens could let us know if they have the same problem. 

• 1 month later...

I'm having the exact same issue with Photo 1.6.2.97 on a Surface Book: When using the mouse, the brush circle is shown fine, but when using the pen, I only see the default mouse cursor Windows uses for pen input.

Are there any news on this issue?

• 5 weeks later...

I have a Surface laptop, running the latest Windows 10 OS and version 1.6.2.97. There has been a bit of improvement in the in the use of the surface pen, but it is still close to unusable. It certainly would be nice if the tech people could resolve this problem or at least tell us it will never work properly. Using the trackpad works well.