You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Join nodes

ronnyb

If 3+ nodes are selected, do nothing (new behavior).

This one I don’t understand, aitte. Say, you have three of your pentagons, converted to curves, and you select one node of each one. Why should the revised Break Curves command not split all of these nodes?

To my mind the easiest way would be: Whatever node is selected, split the curve (to which the node belongs) at just this node … does that make sense?

@A_B_C: Reload the page, hehe. I was editing the post while you read it, since I've spent nearly an hour writing this up... What you just considered has already been taken care of as follows (see the last line):

(Copy-pasted from the post above, so someone who already read it doesn't have to re-read it...)

* Break Curve : Split Node(s) =

-- If 1 node is selected, split it into two disconnected parts.

-- If 2 nodes are selected (on the same curve), disconnect them from each other (new behavior).

-- If 3+ nodes are selected (on the same curve), do nothing (new behavior). Pop up a warning box saying something like "too many nodes selected on a curve, can't figure out which ones you want to disconnect from each other". ;-)

-- Important: If you have multiple curves selected, you are allowed to select 1 or 2 nodes from each curve and it'll split them independently. That way you can independently select 1 or 2 points on a bunch of different curves, and split all those nodes on those curves independently with a single click of the button.

Hey Miguel,

I just checked to see if it had been fixed in the new beta 1.3.5.1 with the Boolean fixes (although it's more of a path issue than a shape issue) but also, it's still generating double nodes...

This issue seems to happen randomly but i don't think it's related with Scale with object. The union seems to fail to generate a single node when one of the paths was transformed (rotated, scaled, skewed etc...). I've logged this to be looked at.

Thanks for your help.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 3 months later...

1 year later and the Join function still doesn't work for me in 1.4. WTF.

And I tried copying what A_B_C did in his Join.mov video.

What is going on here? Keep this up and I'm requesting a damn refund.

First you guys remove the Persona Buttons, then you guys remove the Transform buttons at the top of the App. Hey Developers, have you went full blown stupid? The point of this app is that it's transparent in functionality, intuitive, quick, fluid and powerful.

If it can't do that right, what's the point of abandoning Adobe?

And how long does it exactly take you guys to edit the App and include a perspective/shift/skew function?

Guess what, this App is frustrating the hell out of me and I just reactivated my account with Adobe.

Might as well buy CS6 and buy those fancy 3rd party Apps, SINCE AFFINITY DESIGNER AIN'T ACTING RIGHT.

Hi SGen,

I wonder in what respect the mentioned method doesn’t work for you … well, apart from the “double nodes” bug, that does not seem to be fixed in 1.4, unfortunately, and may show up betimes. Could you please provide some more details, maybe a screen cast showing a case in which this method fails? Or are you referring to the bug reported in this thread?

First you guys remove the Persona Buttons, then you guys remove the Transform buttons at the top of the App.

I am sorry, but I don’t understand, what you mean here. Are these statements or suggestions? In the first case, there must have gone something wrong with your set-up. You will have to rebuild your main tool bar using View > Customise toolbar …. Simply drag the Persona buttons and the Transform buttons back to your tool bar and you should be perfectly happy again (see below). But if these are suggestions, I wonder what’s the point of suggesting so … could you please explain?

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

post-1198-0-73562900-1450339205_thumb.png

post-1198-0-45358100-1450339211_thumb.png

Hi SGen,

I fear you miss an important step in the workflow, thereby getting wrong results. I assume you want to join the two curves in your video by snapping the two nodes indicated in my screen shot of your movie onto each other and rendering them together as one. So please have a look at my “tutorial” above:

• First off, you have to select both curves by Shift + clicking them (just as you do).
  • Secondly, you have to snap one node onto the other one (just as you do).
  • But thirdly, before hitting Join Curves, you have to marquee-select both points, as indicated in step 2 of my “tutorial.” This step seems to be missing in your workflow.

I made a short video that shows you the necessary steps. If you want to achieve a different result (and I am not sure if I understand your intention correctly), then you might have to choose another workflow, and my “tutorial” might not be relevant … 

Thanks, Alex  :)

Join.mov

post-1198-0-46012900-1450351071_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

I've been looking at this and this is probably the biggest issue I have with AD right now... In illustrator I can just select to points/nodes and hit cmd + j and they join. AD seems to force me to keep clicking + dragging, selecting and then clicking on the "action icons" which I find really hard to remember.

Is there any easier way to do this at all? 

AD 1.4.1 | AP 1.4.1 | ottobyte.com | @ottobyte | MacPro 8x2.8, 8gb, OSX 10.11.3

• Staff

Yes, it uses the closest points to join the curves if i'm not wrong. I thought you're were referring to dragging an end node over another from a different path (with snapping enabled) and then joining them.

There's no way to force Affinity to join two selected nodes from different paths. Currently it will pick the closest ones to join them.

Ahh... OK I get it now. I thought it was random and couldn't understand it. The tip on the shortcut is great though. I hope this gets a look in at some point as it's so useful to be able to join paths quickly. Lots of ways to work around for now though!

AD 1.4.1 | AP 1.4.1 | ottobyte.com | @ottobyte | MacPro 8x2.8, 8gb, OSX 10.11.3

• 7 months later...

Yes, it uses the closest points to join the curves if i'm not wrong. I thought you're were referring to dragging an end node over another from a different path (with snapping enabled) and then joining them.

There's no way to force Affinity to join two selected nodes from different paths. Currently it will pick the closest ones to join them.

Ah, that explains a few things! I too had this misunderstanding even though I have no illustrator background. I think the reason that this causes confusion is that the join curves option appears with the node (selection) tool, not the move tool (that I consider as the equivalent to a curve/path/shape selection tool) - and this is giving (to me) the impression that joining curves is an action that can be performed on specific nodes

The behavior gets more puzzling since the tool will choose "randomly" a candidate-pair when there are more than one equal distance pairs. eg. zero-distance pairs like in the following video (I couldn't upload the video in mp4 or webm format so I had to upload it on youtube)

It took me a couple of hours of trial and error, plus reading this whole thread on the forum to get this straight in my head, and while now I don't think I'll even do the same mistake - It's probably something that at least some new users might have issues dealing with; probably something that needs to be clarified/reworked a bit?

-Fotis

• 2 years later...
On 8/24/2015 at 7:05 AM, aitte said:

Does anyone else think Affinity Designer/Photo has really badly implemented join/break/close curves? This was definitely not obvious and this behavior took a long time to analyze and figure out....

Yep. This is driving me insane; I can't seem to do the simplest things. The only ways I can see that nodes can be "welded" together to create one continuous curve out of two or more is to use an automated method such as "close curve", however I have no control over which nodes are being joined - it joins the closest ones. I swear, I'm gonna start to cry; especially as seeing your post is dated from 2015....

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

On 9/14/2019 at 8:44 PM, AndyQ said:

Yep. This is driving me insane; I can't seem to do the simplest things. The only ways I can see that nodes can be "welded" together to create one continuous curve out of two or more is to use an automated method such as "close curve", however I have no control over which nodes are being joined - it joins the closest ones. I swear, I'm gonna start to cry; especially as seeing your post is dated from 2015....

I feel your pain... I just want to be able to join nodes like in Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape, so easy and simple. I've been trying to create a symmetrical heart shape with two halves, but whenever I use the node snap tool it messes up one node handle at the bottom of the heart. One node handle ends up being forced into a corner node and the heart shape looses it's symmetry. 

When I try other ways of joining the paths then I get two nodes instead of just one node.