You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Instant Arrowhead

Found this neat trick playing with the pressure setting of a stroke...

post-1105-0-37122900-1422118441_thumb.png

Can also be used for tails...post-1105-0-90236100-1422137574_thumb.png

Wouldn't use it for long paths though, it gets tricky to edit the shapes as it's mapped onto a narrow palette. Still fun for signage and as a design element, not technical illustration....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly... limits help drive creativity, right?

After some more time playing with it, what I would do for longer paths, (until a real arrowhead tool is implemented) is to split the path before the head and tail, and that will give the Pressure pop-up palette more resolution to craft an appropriate length arrowhead (and/or tail) without being stretched out by the length of the body of the path... if that makes sense...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

Hi alibaba, 

You have to create a line with the Pen (or Pencil Tool) then apply a pressure profile to it.

First create a line with the Pen tool, click on the "line width" button on the context toolbar and then on the button labelled Pressure on the bottom right of the panel. Finally draw a profile similar to the one shown in the first picture.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

• Open the Stroke panel.

• Click on the Pressure parameter.

• Add points (click on the existing plot) to the graph that pops up and arrange them.

• Use the PenTool to draw a line.

You may need to adjust the line width to enhance the effect. On the pressure graph, add extra points close to existing points to force a straight line.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm new to Affinity Designer—a few hours—so please forgive a newbie dumb question.  Is this instruction intended for iMac/mouse users?  I'm not making any marks in the "Pressure" grid.

I drew an arrow and saved it in a file so I can copy and paste it where needed, but it's not very elegant and manipulating it takes time.  

I'm surprised that arrows aren't included as part of the "Line" choices.  If a trial use had been offered I wouldn't have purchased it after the trial period.

I'm new to Affinity Designer—a few hours—so please forgive a newbie dumb question.  Is this instruction intended for iMac/mouse users?  I'm not making any marks in the "Pressure" grid.

I drew an arrow and saved it in a file so I can copy and paste it where needed, but it's not very elegant and manipulating it takes time.  

I'm surprised that arrows aren't included as part of the "Line" choices.  If a trial use had been offered I wouldn't have purchased it after the trial period.

The work around is found in the pressure setting of the stroke dialogue. 

post-34886-0-68880000-1498731744_thumb.jpg

On a Mac, you can also insert arrow symbols from the character map utility, and convert those to vectors for further manipulation.

And, yeah, its one of those things that should get built in.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply, gdenby.  I experimented a bit and created/saved one but it leaves a bit to be desired in that lengthening and shortening it distorts it.  Mine, cumbersome as it is, is preferable.

Now, I need to experiment with your suggestion, "On a Mac, you can also insert arrow symbols from the character map utility, and convert those to vectors for further manipulation."

found them.   ➛   I frequently use other symbols from the utility but have never looked at the arrows.

If a trial use had been offered I wouldn't have purchased it after the trial period.

Both of the current Affinity apps are available in a ten-day trial version for Mac or Windows.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Both of the current Affinity apps are available in a ten-day trial version for Mac or Windows.

Alfred, :) , I think pmillen's emphasis point was actually in the last half of the sentence:

"If a trial use had been offered I wouldn't have purchased it after the trial period."

:lol:  :(  :lol:  :( 

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop