You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

14 minutes ago, German Printer said:

no, it's exactly the topic

No, The Ghent Suite deals with other issues. This was what Stephan pointed out in the article you first pointed to. At the time that Stephan engaged here, there was only one application that passed all tests--something that isn't a desktop publishing solution and is beyond many/most peoples' financial means.

While I do not use Affinity applications for most any production, I have used them for production jobs and or for adverts to be placed in QXP/ID. A person can build good files in Affinity applications...and one can have issues whether going to a final pdf for a print service or for placing in another layout application. But this is also true of ID, AI, PS, QXP et al, one can build proper pdfs or not in them too.

This thread is specifically about opening a pdf and APhoto/AD, and has since included APub, as regards font embedding and the need for pdf passthrough. PDF Passthrough will come at a future date. However, I have no doubt the Ghent Suite will still reveal Affinity application issues (based on past implementations of the pdf library in use).

If you would like, this discussion can continue in a new thread devoted to the Ghent Suite failings if you care to start one.

6 hours ago, German Printer said:

The fact is that PDF files cannot be processed properly in Affinity Publisher. The source of the error lies in the program itself.

It is well known that none of the Affinity applications can make use of fonts embedded in a PDF file. The user must have the font installed locally as the use of embedded fonts is simply not yet implemented in the applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

G'day all this a is a bit brain damaging for us poor Graphic designers

but I did a quick fix which might help you out of a pickle, if you just want to import the original into Affinity without applying changes to fonts,

This is on Mac OSX 14

open Preview application this will recognise the embedded fonts in the pdf go to export save as jpeg 300dpi voila!

as good as the original pdf and prints with fonts because it's now an image bum bum

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2020 at 8:49 AM, Bill MDC said:

open Preview application this will recognise the embedded fonts in the pdf go to export save as jpeg 300dpi voila!

as good as the original pdf and prints with fonts because it's now an image bum bum

Definitely not as good as the original. Bitmapping to 300 dpi will lose significant quality for vector line-art (which is what text is), and would need to be at 1200dpi. JPEGging can also create artefacts in areas of high contrast, particularly with type. 

Better workarounds are: outline the font data in the PDF (so that the text just becomes vector images); or convert to EPS, of which, for some reason, Affinity can read the embedded fonts correctly.

• 3 months later...
18 minutes ago, Daniel_Schneck said:

Any news, when affinity can handle embedded fonts?

Could anybody help out by a workaround. Maybe a free software to outline the fonts?

Thank you very much in advance

You can check for embedded fonts in a PDF document using command line:

strings path/filename.pdf | grep FontName

My workaround is to use this script...

15 hours ago, Daniel_Schneck said:

Any news, when affinity can handle embedded fonts?

Could anybody help out by a workaround. Maybe a free software to outline the fonts?

Thank you very much in advance

My workaround (well until 1.9 is released) is to use the Ghostscript method described in this thread. It is not ideal having to break out of APu especially to convert multiple PDFs but once installed it is quick.

• 5 months later...
20 minutes ago, ashf said:

Affinity should have an option to substitute fonts with the font manager for PDF as well.

Absolutely not...

Wanna deal with a PDF's fonts, open it and sub fonts. Need it, once one has dealt with embedded fonts after that? Then copy the desired elements to the working file.

34 minutes ago, ashf said:

Affinity should have an option to substitute fonts with the font manager for PDF as well.

It does it does have that option.

When you Open a PDF, you are given the option of doing a permanent substitution of the missing font with a local font, or not:

image.png.5d782cad603cc60c1f4cf5c69efa91b2.png

If you choose the "Replace missing fonts" option the fonts are permanently replaced with the replacements you choose.

If you do not choose that option, then a temporary substitution is performed, and you can see that in the Font Manager:

image.png.07a0a3f5539e461aae1d31c87de97bc8.png

At that point, if you have Publisher, Find and Replace will still allow you to perform a permanent substitution.

Alternatively, if you Place the PDF, you can choose PassThrough mode, and you don't need to do any font substitution.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

27 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Absolutely not...

Wanna deal with a PDF's fonts, open it and sub fonts. Need it, once one has dealt with embedded fonts after that? Then copy the desired elements to the working file.

Well, it's probably not just matter of the font applied. encoding conversion may be related also.
Embedded fonts are totally useless in our language.(CJK)
Whatever font I apply to it, it's still garbled text. 
So probably need better encoding conversion or something besides substituting fonts.

The first link in the thread you linked to goes to a locked pdf (ahd2000.pdf). If I unlock it so I can see the encoding...there isn't any encoding. There are simply characters with a hint as to the character collection.

However, I can, with the unlocked pdf, copy the text to (in this case) my text editor and then from the text editor to APub properly. Because I can go through an intermediary application, yes, perhaps Serif could deal with non-encoded glyphs better--but as I cannot read the language, "properly" in the previous sentence is subject to review by a person such as yourself who can read it. 

22 minutes ago, MikeW said:

The first link in the thread you linked to goes to a locked pdf (ahd2000.pdf). If I unlock it so I can see the encoding...there isn't any encoding. There are simply characters with a hint as to the character collection.

However, I can, with the unlocked pdf, copy the text to (in this case) my text editor and then from the text editor to APub properly. Because I can go through an intermediary application, yes, perhaps Serif could deal with non-encoded glyphs better--but as I cannot read the language, "properly" in the previous sentence is subject to review by a person such as yourself who can read it. 

I know it's locked, just ignore it.
Try the attached pdf I created.

font-encoding.jpeg

embedded-fonts-ai.pdf

30 minutes ago, ashf said:

Thank you, but It's not useful when the text is separated in many objects scattered all over the canvas.

While it would take me 10 or so minutes per page to reconstruct something like that Denon pdf, it's doable.

Even with an application that can open that pdf for editing and maintain, make use of the fonts/characters used, one cannot easily change fonts altogether or use characters not already in the pdf. That is down to both encoding and subset of fonts. I do not believe cjk fonts can be fully embedded.