You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, GraphicDesigner said:

Not sure how to overcome this.

None of the Affinity apps can interpret embedded fonts, so at present the only way to overcome the problem is to install the missing font.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Or convert the pdf's font(s) to curves. 

Well, yes, if @GraphicDesigner has the means to do so. But the point is that the Affinity apps can’t handle it.

Alfred spacer.png

Just use Inkscape it's free and can convert the PDF to curves - it has two options both work equally well - until Affinity decide to up their game and actually support rendering/conversion of embedded fonts - They could easily make the text areas uneditable if they are worried about users being able to access typefaces they don't own if the font is not installed. But at least it would allow the PDF to be embedded in a publication.

Until this is feasible - Publisher/Designer cannot be used seriously for small/medium scale magazine or newspaper production.

Edited by mmuller
typo fixed

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Well, yes, if @GraphicDesigner has the means to do so. But the point is that the Affinity apps can’t handle it.

There are free and paid for applications that can do so. It just takes one a little bit of time up front to pick and install it. Thereafter it takes more seconds to convert such a pdf for use in Affinity applications. 

So the choice for anyone desiring to use Affinity applications until such time as Serif not only adds pdf passthrough AND gets it working more faithfully than the Plus applications ever did, is to install such a work around. 

And I'll guarantee you that if one gets a wide enough variety of pdfs, they will still need such a tool.

5 minutes ago, GraphicDesigner said:

@Alfred Thanks for the reply. I just want to make sure that my issue is due to fonts. Here is a picture of my issue:

image.png.281f7c7ba161db0949c1723319b4c5c3.png

Wow, that really is messed up! It’s to be expected that there are .notdef glyphs for the double-height parentheses, but there are several errors in word spacing.

If this really is a font issue, is there any way I can tell which font I should install? The body font is Minion Pro which is installed on my system. I'm not sure what the math font is though.

Any PDF viewer worth its salt should be able to list all the fonts used in the document.

Alfred spacer.png

I tried installing Latin Modern math and a bunch of other fonts relevant to LaTeX, but I still haven't gotten the symbols to show up correctly.

I'm getting seriously annoyed at the number of hoops I'm having to jump through just to put a PDF into my document. I think I'll just install a trial of InDesign and use that, as I'm sure it can embed PDFs without issues. 

2 minutes ago, GraphicDesigner said:

I tried installing Latin Modern math and a bunch of other fonts relevant to LaTeX, but I still haven't gotten the symbols to show up correctly.

CM fonts are Computer Modern. You can download individual CM fonts in OTF format from here; there’s also a Computer Modern Unicode font family package which is available from here.

Alfred spacer.png

22 minutes ago, Alfred said:

CM fonts are Computer Modern. You can download individual CM fonts in OTF format from here; there’s also a Computer Modern Unicode font family package which is available from here.

Thanks, I'll try this. Is there any combined font that exists so that I don't have to install all these fonts individually? LaTeX is indeed strange...

12 minutes ago, GraphicDesigner said:

Is there any combined font that exists so that I don't have to install all these fonts individually?

I’m not a Mac user but I’ve just found this: How To Install Multiple Fonts At Once On Mac

Alfred spacer.png

4 hours ago, mmuller said:

I personally recommend https://fontba.se as a great 'free' font manager that is also cross platform and supports collections of fonts too.

I have been using NexusFonts for years and is quite happy about it as most other Font Manager on Windows were really outdated and bloated. 
Fontbase looks quite interesting... but doesn't seem to have any portable feature and can't load fonts from any custom folder.
Also it's asking for $3/Month subscription fees for font manager!! Mud-house really spoiled the industry. 

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

I’m not a Mac user but I’ve just found this: How To Install Multiple Fonts At Once On Mac

Thanks! I was more wondering why latex distributes it as so many fonts, but it's just how it works I guess. 

I tried installing all the fonts listed in Acrobat, but sadly all the characters are showing up wrong in Publisher. I tried restarting Publisher but no go. Kind of annoying... looks like I'll have to install InDesign, unless there's another way to put a PDF over another PDF on Mac? 

@GraphicDesigner try inkscape and use the option to convert missing fonts to curves during the import of the PDF. Works well enough for the times I have tried but cannot guarantee how it'll handle those fonts you have. But at least it's free and might get you out of a hole!

https://inkscape.org/

image.thumb.png.f6a27f00c75d1fed8b6374dfa5dab6b9.png

I use the Poppler/Cairo import option to convert text to curves, then resave and use that in Designer/Publisher or Photo when necessary.

6 hours ago, GraphicDesigner said:

@MikeW Ideally I'd love to only convert the math equations to curves, and leave the rest of the text selectable

Well, well. Seeing how this might have been a TEX document, I feel your pain. Whatever was the source, and if you need the text as text, the equations, etc., as graphics, there are only a handful of options. I've done a few going from TEX to a modern layout application. No two have been the same nor as successful as others.

If at all possible, obtain the source document files if you can. If that isn't possible, the first thing I would try might be the InkScape route above.

LibreOffice Writer has some extensions that may help. Acrobat's save as a Word .docx may too. Even importing/opening the PDF in a newer version of Word may convert the equations.

The LyX word processor likely can open the original files and one can deal with the equations there. There is also a TeX to rtf converter on (if I recall) Github that works well enough to get the file(s) into Word. I've gone that route and used MathType to convert the equations to inline eps files and placed the .docx successfully before...same with going through LyX.

I hope you are getting paid well for this.

12 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Well, well. Seeing how this might have been a TEX document, I feel your pain. Whatever was the source, and if you need the text as text, the equations, etc., as graphics, there are only a handful of options. I've done a few going from TEX to a modern layout application. No two have been the same nor as successful as others.

If at all possible, obtain the source document files if you can. If that isn't possible, the first thing I would try might be the InkScape route above.

LibreOffice Writer has some extensions that may help. Acrobat's save as a Word .docx may too. Even importing/opening the PDF in a newer version of Word may convert the equations.

The LyX word processor likely can open the original files and one can deal with the equations there. There is also a TeX to rtf converter on (if I recall) Github that works well enough to get the file(s) into Word. I've gone that route and used MathType to convert the equations to inline eps files and placed the .docx successfully before...same with going through LyX.

I hope you are getting paid well for this.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I'm actually not getting paid at all. I'm doing this for my university's research journal as part of the club. As a matter of fact, the original document was a word document. I determined the only way to actually get it into Publisher was by converting it to LaTeX document first. So in a way, I do own the original source document.

As a side note, it was difficult because I had to make the body match the layout of the Publisher journal. I had to make it two columns, get the fonts right, a bunch of other annoying stuff which can be hard in LaTeX. It's taken me a whole day and that's part of the reason I'm annoyed. But I think I've gotten most of it done.

The only remaining part is getting the PDF into Publisher on the pages it needs to go on. The symbols are causing the problems, I think. After a lot of research I figured out that I can change the math text font, which will be correctly interpreted by Publisher. However, the symbols I don't think I can install on my system, so dead end over there. 

What you mentioned about the equations—I guess I could do that but there are far too many inline equations in the document, so I don't want to export to eps and then keep dragging them into the document. Especially if I need to change something in the document, right now I can just re-export the LaTeX file, otherwise I'd have to keep moving the equations around which sounds like a bad idea. 

I'll try what @mmuller suggested with Inkscape and report back how it goes. 

But thanks for making me see the reality of it. I should be getting paid for this. I won't waste more time than I need to on it

@mmuller I'd like to give you an update. Thank you very much for your suggestion. It definitely works but converts everything into curves;  you can't selectively make the equation into curves. Better than rasterizing the document, but not as good as having the actual text in it, I guess.

I found a solution though. You can overlay a watermark onto the exported PDF from publisher using Adobe Acrobat's watermark tool. Just select the file and each page number separately. Wish I found this solution earlier before wasting my time installing different fonts :/.

Publishers and print service providers are in a fix.
Delivered customer advertisements cannot be processed in the Affinity programs.

Verlage und Druckdienstleister sind aufgeschmissen.

Angelieferte Kundenanzeigen können in den Affinity Programmen nicht verarbeitet werden.