You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For me, personally, the issue is that when a client delivers me some material in PDF-form for further editing, currently I can't use this material in Affinity Photo because of the fonts won't be preserved. If it's an issue of licensing, for me it would be totally fine to render the fonts in a really high resolution (Adobe asks for this resolution when importing and then renders the fonts as bitmap, at least if I don't have those fonts).

Can you buy Enfocus Pitstop in the USA and use it legally? I would suggest yes, therefore the whole argument is moot. Font licenses 'generally' have a fair use for sending them to the print house for inclusion in the final printed copy, assuming the 'shop' does not keep copies of said fonts or make use of them in any other production. Without getting into an argument, having worked in the print and publishing industry for over 30 years, seeing the whole digital revolution of typefaces from paste up artwork through to cloud based fonts, the EULA you quote has already been reinterpreted for single use productions at any print shop around the world to produce the customers requirements.

All most of us require is the option of importing the document with that respecting the embedded font, it doesn't need to be editable but at least be a vector outline from the glyphs stored in the document. This doesn't not break any EULA but allows production to continue... It could also offer both, outline fonts at import or editable text without any font information and the current font replacement option...

6 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

PagePlus, Serif’s own long-established DTP application, has been able to to this ever since it acquired the ability to ‘open’ PDFs for editing. (I say ‘open’ in quotation marks because it actually copies the content into a PagePlus document rather than editing the PDF file directly.)

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Every font has a license/allowable use specification of some kind, with the exception of what amounts to pirated knock-offs that usually don't even have the same font metrics as the fonts they are intended to replace. Adobe's apps respect the licenses/use terms of fonts that have them, which variously may not allow any embedding at all, allow only embedding the characters used in the document, or allow totally free & unrestricted use.

Regardless of what a third party plugin might allow, it is the license that should be respected.

PagePlus respects the ‘embedding licensing rights’ flags for the fonts in imported PDFs. Font permissions can be set (by the font designer) to ‘Installable’, ‘Editable Embedding’, ‘Print & Preview’ or ‘Restricted’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This issue has just hit me. I was mistakenly under the impression that if I used the File > Place method of importing a PDF then embedded fonts would display correctly. I have now found to my cost that this is not the case. Note that I am not expecting to edit the PDF, for that I would expect to have to install all fonts, but I definitely need a facility to import a PDF and have it display correctly as it does in a PDF reader.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Catshill,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Currently Affinity apps don't support embedded fonts no matter how you import them. We hope to add support for embedded fonts later in a future version (no eta).

Do you have any suggestions as to a work around? 

There are plenty of online pdf- font extractors

Dell Precision T7910, 2x Xeon E5-2630v3, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro K6000, Dell UP2716D, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO
Dell Precision T3640, Xeon W1290, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro RTX 5000, Eizo CG319X, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO FWS
-----

Graphic software: Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher - Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat - Zoner Photo Studio - Topaz Gigapixel Ai, Denoise Ai, Sharpen Ai

8 hours ago, souacz said:

There are plenty of online pdf- font extractors

2 hours ago, Catshill said:

That isn’t an online utility. It’s a Windows-only downloadable application, and it doesn’t support anything other than embedded TrueType fonts.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

That isn’t an online utility. It’s a Windows-only downloadable application, and it doesn’t support anything other than embedded TrueType fonts.

I also tried https://www.konwerter.net/results/ and https://www.extractpdf.com/ and although I was able to download and install the fonts from a PDF when I opened Affinity Designer those fonts were still showing as missing so that doesn't seem a way forward.

The only luck i have had is my opening the PDF and re-creating the PDF using the FoxIt Reader PDF Printer but with the embed font option unticked.

It all depend of the number of fonts missings and the number of modifications.
If I only miss font for titles (or few and small parts of text) and don't need to modify them (or only need to correct a simple typo), I convert the fonts to curves in a copy of this document with InkScape, open the original PDF in AD or APub, and copy-paste the needed curves on the pages, hidding or deleting the text frames for those.

If it involve a lot of text and corrections, the client need to provide the corrected PDF, or accept to use another font or buy the one needed.

I tried the Inkscape method but I lost some of the elements when I tried to import the Inkscape PDF into ADes.

Opening the PDF and re-creating the PDF using the FoxIt Reader PDF Printer but with the embed font option unticked appears to be a quicker and more reliable method for me.

• 5 months later...

@Darie Nani my point exactly - for magazine production it rules out Affinity (Publisher/Designer and even Photo) from being used as the page layout tool... InDesign and Quark allow placement of the PDF as an image which is passed through to the postscript/pdf rendering engine therefore retaining the original font/typefaces.

Publisher, when placing the PDF as an image will strip out the font/typefaces... Not great!

2 hours ago, Darie Nani said:

Just so I am clear, if a client sends their ready to print ads, we cannot simply drop them in without sourcing their fonts first???

This is crazy, how do you expect users to use Affinity publisher for professional work?

Keep in mind that for commercial use many font licenses require that either your client or you have purchased enough licensing rights to use it in various ways (for printing, web pages, etc.).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Keep in mind that for commercial use many font licenses require that either your client or you have purchased enough licensing rights to use it in various ways (for printing, web pages, etc.).

But display purposes are not use purposes. There is no excuse to not displaying embedded fonts properly. It's up to the user to solve their licensing, not the app. If the fonts are embedded they're there for a reason, the app shouldn't decide whether or not I have the right to see the font.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

@R C-R this is not usually the case in the UK as the font is only being reproduced as per the originating artwork - the license allows for the typeface to be embedded for the sole purpose of reproduction. If the font is extracted from the PDF then the company/agency have broken the law or if the applicaton allows editing of the PDF by using the embedded typeface - if it is used purely to produce printing plates or digitally printed material the license has not been broken.

However, there are multiple tools around in the printing industry - such as Enfocus Pitstop and even Acrobat Pro which allow editing of a PDF without checking if you have a license or the font installed in your device...

PDF passthrough will come. It's not an issue of legalities.

Nor are using embedded fonts an issue of legalities. Without the font, one cannot add characters not in the pdf anyway. (There is an exception here with say CorelDraw which can embed the entire font within the design file. Even so, Corel Corp. has never been sued over this capability to my knowledge and it is still possible.)

14 minutes ago, mmuller said:

@R C-R this is not usually the case in the UK as the font is only being reproduced as per the originating artwork - the license allows for the typeface to be embedded for the sole purpose of reproduction.

As I understand it, some licenses do not permit outline fonts to be embedded in documents at all, which is where 'passthrough' of a rasterized version in the Affinity apps would help. Am I wrong about that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7