You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new to this forum and I just wanted to say how much I enjoy using the affinity designer software. To show my "affinity" to the software, I would like to share a tutorial video that I made turning my hand sketch into a vector drawing :D: 

https://youtu.be/UDVuI0BPFgo

Hope you guys like it and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome to the forum! Great tutorial! Good job going all the way from File > New to File > Export! IMHO...

• B&W text display of Keyboard key/commands.
  • Voice.
  • Loved the oops text display! I've always thought errors should be left in a tute to show everyone makes mistakes and how to overcome them without panic.
  • Really liked the verbal point about complete the B&W fills first to examine the results, then go for the color fills for final.
  • Good job balancing between a tute for beginners vs more experienced viewers (to keep it at 15 minutes vs 40 minutes) :)

Would have liked:

• More volume, I had to go real high on my speakers.
  • You said the word "logo" a lot but I didn't hear you say "reduced color pallet" or "client's color choices" as part of the distinction between a logo and other artistic designs, which might use many more colors.
  • The text display of 100 in red and weird font was distracting unlike the B&W text display of the keyboard keys; consistency might be preferable.

Bottom line: Very watchable and good instruction!

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

The general volume level seemed fine here. The problem for me was the background music, which really got in the way of hearing all the words; I think it would be better attenuated significantly, or even removed altogether. Do you remember any of your teachers at school ever having music playing in the background while they were explaining something? I don't.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

The general volume level seemed fine here. The problem for me was the background music, which really got in the way of hearing all the words; I think it would be better attenuated significantly, or even removed altogether. Do you remember any of your teachers at school ever having music playing in the background while they were explaining something? I don't.

Thanks for your feedback Alfred, I will definitely take this into account for my next tutorial videos. I'm just used to creating timelapse drawing videos, so I guess it's habit of mine to add background music. Thanks again!

Welcome to the forum! Great tutorial! Good job going all the way from File > New to File > Export! IMHO...

• B&W text display of Keyboard key/commands.
  • Voice.
  • Loved the oops text display! I've always thought errors should be left in a tute to show everyone makes mistakes and how to overcome them without panic.
  • Really liked the verbal point about complete the B&W fills first to examine the results, then go for the color fills for final.
  • Good job balancing between a tute for beginners vs more experienced viewers (to keep it at 15 minutes vs 40 minutes) :)

Would have liked:

• You said the word "logo" a lot but I didn't hear you say "reduced color pallet" or "client's color choices" as part of the distinction between a logo and other artistic designs, which might use many more colors.
  • The text display of 100 in red and weird font was distracting unlike the B&W text display of the keyboard keys; consistency might be preferable.

Bottom line: Very watchable and good instruction!

Thanks for your feedback jer, This is one of my first tutorial videos so, I definitely take into account of everyone's feedback on improving my videos. Thanks again! :)  

• 4 months later...

This was really cool! I am thinking of buying a pen stylus (XP Pen Star 03) but when I saw this... I was thinking of, why not just draw on paper, scan it or photograph it and send it to my email and then drag it in Affinity Designer and use the pen tool??

I am thinking of making my own fonts,but these need to be scanned...but if I sketch my art on a paper and just take a photo of it and import it to AD that's maybe even easier..but I have to deal with the pen tool a little bit, but maybe easier to paint on paper and add it to AD later ... hmmm ... :P

Haha! Any ideas?