You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am new to Infinity for Ilad and i have a quick question regarding Liquify that might come off as silly to some:

I have modified a picture using Liquify and when I try to switch to another tool or to switch to another project from the Liquify screen I get this message:

"You have uncommitted changes. Are you sure you want to go back to the home screen? Yes? No?"

If I click "yes", it brings me back to the home page without saving my Liquify changes. If I press"no", I stay on the Liquify page.

I can't seem to be able to find a "commit changes" button anywhere. What am I missing?

Thank you in advance.

• Staff

Hi MorotFxStudio,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you are using Affinity Photo for Mac click the blue Apply button on the context toolbar right above the work area.

If you are using the iPad version select the View Tool (the hand icon) and click the checkmark button Apply in the context toolbar on the bottom of the interface.

I had the same problem in the iPad version. The "solution" is completely unintuitive. In the filters section the tick to apply is onscreen next to the adjustment dials - seems obvious. In liquefy the whole paradigm of the interface is now changed? Why?

To the OP, this was in no way a silly question. It is a failure of interface design.

Given that a "commit" button is pretty much essential to all operations, it could be a permanent feature in the right menu bar? At the very least be consistent in its usage.

While the program is very powerful and a lot of work has gone into the development, this was such an irritating and unjustifiable flaw to come across. Hope this is an isolated example in what is otherwise shaping up to be a very good piece of software.

• Staff

Hi anetherwood,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Liquify is a Persona - it has it's own set of tools of the left, while the filters on the right belong to a Studio (Filters Studio). Those are two different UI components.

All Personas (where applicable) have the checkmark/apply button located in the context toolbar on the bottom when the Hand Tool is selected (Liquify, Develop, Tone Mapping Personas). Filters on the other hand don't have any specific tools associated other than the context toolbar controls on the bottom. Personas are "workspaces" where you can perform specific operations using a Myriad of tools. They are accessible on the top after the vertical separator - notice how all the tools on the left change when you switch Personas as well as the Studios available on the right.

• 4 months later...

ZBrush wins because it dominates the market. It also has the least intuitive interface of any package I know.

Consistency and intuitive UI is good for users. Burying the apply button in the hand tool isn’t intuitive, and not something I would of found without trawling through the forum. It wouldn’t do any harm to have the apply button duplicated somewhere more visible.

It’s great that affinity is on the iPad, it actually gives me a chance to learn it, and I really like what I see. ..... but if I need a 10min fix for work I’m still reaching for photoshop because I can’t guarantee that I won’t spend 10mins reading help files in affinity.