You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pulling my hair out... straight line with the brush tool on iPad? - no shift+click

1. On the desktop version of the app in order to draw a straight line with the brush tool you can click to start the point, then shift click and it will connect those two points. Thus drawing a straight line between those two points. I cannot for the LIFE of me figure out how to do this on the iPad????  This is a MAJOR part of my editing workflow. I just want to draw a straight line but there are no modifier keys on iPad... 

(BTW I hate the pen tool. PLEASE don't tell me I have to use it to draw a straight line with it and then apply a stroke.)

2. Is there a side by side list of where the tools on the desktop version have been moved to in the iPad version? i.e. The quick mask is now located under the "blah blah" on the iPad app... ?? If there is a pdf manual that would be AMAZING because I am SO lost. I can't get any work done because I can't figure out where a lot of my desktop tools have been moved. Not having hot keys/modifier keys is killing me. 

3. Suggestion for the app - Put a little square somewhere in the bottom corner that acts like a modifier key (shift, control etc..) on the iPad version. Procreate has a little square you can put your finger over and it acts as a modifier key so you can sample colors with your apple pencil. It's worked seamlessly with my workflow and I love it. 

• Staff

Hi Ladycarolineartist,

Welcome to the Forums :)

Unfortunately there isn't anything automated in the iPad version of the app that will allow you to draw straight lines with the brush tool. We don't have a side by side list of the features and where to find them in the iPad app or a PDF help manual I'm afraid however there is the in built help which can be accessed by pressing the button in my attached screenshot.

post-12469-0-62060400-1498558898_thumb.jpg

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

Hey Ladycarolineartist,

I just want to follow up with what Callum said. He is correct, there is currently no way to draw a straight line with the brush tool. I was sure this was possible as I had accidentally done it but that looks like it was a palm rejection issue when using an Apple Pencil.

So, I just went over to development and asked if this will ever be possible and they said yes, eventually. It won't be days and possibly not weeks but they are looking at implementing some sort of modifier key somewhere on the UI at some point.

Sorry we can't help you right now but it will be possible in the near future :)

Ok ready everyone, time to step away from your digital crack. My parents and grandparents had a tool to draw a straight line with...

GET A PLASTIC RULER / STRAIGHTEDGE !

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

Ok ready everyone, time to step away from your digital crack. My parents and grandparents had a tool to draw a straight line with...

GET A PLASTIC RULER / STRAIGHTEDGE !

I think we were going to suggest this but we were concerned about potentially scratching the screen. As I said above, we should be able to do this eventually when we add the modifiers  :D

Glass is harder than plastic or wood (but not metal)... specially the touch glass used on iPads... shouldn't be a problem. However, I DONT recommend using a compass, lol....

I think we were going to suggest this but we were concerned about potentially scratching the screen. As I said above, we should be able to do this eventually when we add the modifiers :D

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I'm still waiting for a single brush line tool as a main worktool  :)  It's so important to me and many others as you can see here and elsewhere! Can we count on a tool like this for the next months ahead, or does it look like, we have to wait until the next big upgrade 2.x version?

Love your work by the way - I know you can't fulfill every customers wish-list and despite of that, you really do great how you handle your customers feedback. So, thumbs up! :)

• Staff

I'm still waiting for a single brush line tool as a main worktool  :)  It's so important to me and many others as you can see here and elsewhere! Can we count on a tool like this for the next months ahead, or does it look like, we have to wait until the next big upgrade 2.x version?

Love your work by the way - I know you can't fulfill every customers wish-list and despite of that, you really do great how you handle your customers feedback. So, thumbs up! :)

I wouldn't hold my breath for a separate tool but the same results should be achievable when we introduce the modifier keys.

• 1 year later...

This is a killer for me (Affinity Designer for iOS).  I'm not an artist, I don't do freehand!  I need the equivalent of CorelDRAW! functionality.

Suggestion: pencil tool fly-out (similar to smart shapes fly-out), with options freehand or straight (draw a straight vector from pen-down to pen-up).  May be able to think of some more modes too... (but please see update below)

Work-around

Create a template straight line:

1. Draw freehand line (anywhere, preferably a clear work area);
  2. Select node tool;
  3. Drag selection box to encompass all nodes except two;
  4. Delete (dustbin icon);
  5. Drag selection box to encompass the ends;
  6. Select the "sharp" option from the Bézier curve controls at the bottom of the screen.

You now have a prototype straight line.  Copy anywhere you want a straight line in your drawing, then manipulate as required:

1. Select node tool;
  2. Drag either end of the line to where you want it.

UPDATE....

I've now discovered this work-around isn't necessary.  Simply use the pen tool rather than the pencil tool, and choose "line" mode - that does it!

• 4 months later...

GET A PLASTIC RULER / STRAIGHTEDGE

If you're using a textured screen protector (e.g. the one from PaperLike [dot] com) even a plastic ruler can scratch it all up. Or a bigger problem is that holding a ruler on the screen often means you're touching the screen in at least one other place, which isn't caught by palm rejection and therefore causes issues with drawing the straight line with the pencil.

Other apps handle this by having a tap-and-hold gesture to get the equivalent of using Shift on a keyboard. That's really what we're looking for.

On 12/2/2018 at 4:51 AM, Jeff C said:

If you're using a textured screen protector (e.g. the one from PaperLike [dot] com) even a plastic ruler can scratch it all up. Or a bigger problem is that holding a ruler on the screen often means you're touching the screen in at least one other place, which isn't caught by palm rejection and therefore causes issues with drawing the straight line with the pencil.

Other apps handle this by having a tap-and-hold gesture to get the equivalent of using Shift on a keyboard. That's really what we're looking for.

Just signed up to agree. I really love Affinity Photo so far, but this tool/function is indeed missing :(

Best Regards

• 3 months later...
On 6/27/2017 at 8:41 PM, Chris B said:

it will be possible in the near future :)

If only it were so....;)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 1 year later...

One year later, is this possible?  A straight line with brush + gesture?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

• 6 months later...
18 hours ago, Alfred said:

Please see my reply in the other thread where you’ve posted about this.

I can achieve the second straight line, connecting to the first, however I fail to draw the first straight line.  I must be doing something wrong, to old to figure it out.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

50 minutes ago, Cecil said:

I can achieve the second straight line, connecting to the first, however I fail to draw the first straight line.  I must be doing something wrong, to old to figure it out.

Choose the Paint Brush Tool, set the desired width and other parameters, and tap to make a dot where you want the first straight line to begin. Now hold down a finger anywhere on the screen and tap where you want the line to end. Lift the held-down finger and repeat as necessary.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred thank you.  It works randomly for me, my skill set most likely the problem.😢

Cecil