You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

auto black and white icon for foreground/background

This would be a whole lot easier if I knew what this thing is called but I don't so...

On PS and the like, next to the little squares that let you set the foreground and background colors, there is a little icon with 2 fixed squares, one black and one white. You click on this to set the foreground/background to black/white. I assume AP has this ability but I sure can't find it.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks

In Affinity Photo in the Keyboard Shortcuts section of the Preferences dialog, leave the first dropdown selection at the default 'Photo', scroll down to 'Miscellaneous' in the second dropdown list and then scroll a little way down the list of shortcuts to find 'Set Fill to Black and White'. Click in the box on the right-hand side, type your preferred shortcut key (with or without modifiers) and then press the 'Close' button.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks to Alfred's help on this exact same question I set my shortcut to Shift+Esc a couple of days ago.

I also wonder why this simple but useful little feature isn't on the colour picker panel. Maybe make it two little round circles instead though so there is no copyright infringement :P 

In Affinity Photo in the Keyboard Shortcuts section of the Preferences dialog, leave the first dropdown selection at the default 'Photo', scroll down to 'Miscellaneous' in the second dropdown list and then scroll a little way down the list of shortcuts to find 'Set Fill to Black and White'. Click in the box on the right-hand side, type your preferred shortcut key (with or without modifiers) and then press the 'Close' button.

Oh lord; I hate keyboard shortcuts. I'm a "mouse person," not a "keyboard person." In fact, my keyboard stays tucked up under the desktop when I'm editing. It seems like it would be so easy to put a tiny little icon near the color picker. 

But thank you for the info.

• 1 month later...

Hello and thanks, Alfred, for more wonderfully helpful tips - I now can toggle stuff and reset to black and white.  I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, but I've watched the video on modifiers 

and the brush size/softness/hardness modifier key/mouse movements are not working for me.  I have AP for Windows 1.5.2.69

8 minutes ago, Lubiloo said:

Hello and thanks, Alfred, for more wonderfully helpful tips - I now can toggle stuff and reset to black and white.

You're welcome, Lubiloo. Thanks for the feedback!

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, but I've watched the video on modifiers and the brush size/softness/hardness modifier key/mouse movements are not working for me.  I have AP for Windows 1.5.2.69

Therein lies the problem: that video tutorial was made for Mac users. Cmd () on a Mac is Ctrl in the Windows versions of the Affinity apps, and Ctrl (^) on a Mac is currently* achieved via simultaneously left-clicking and right-clicking.

________

*I hope they change this. On my laptop, I can't click both 'mouse' buttons at the same time unless I have my trackball plugged in.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Lubiloo said:

Hello and thanks, Alfred, for more wonderfully helpful tips - I now can toggle stuff and reset to black and white.  I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, but I've watched the video on modifiers 

and the brush size/softness/hardness modifier key/mouse movements are not working for me.  I have AP for Windows 1.5.2.69

On Windows, press down Alt, then both buttons, then drag. That does it.

Once you start to drag, you can let go of Alt and the right button. The brush will keep changing as you drag until you release the left button.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

6 hours ago, toltec said:

On Windows, press down Alt, then both buttons, then drag. That does it.

Once you start to drag, you can let go of Alt and the right button. The brush will keep changing as you drag until you release the left button.

8 hours ago, Alfred said:

Therein lies the problem: that video tutorial was made for Mac users. Cmd () on a Mac is Ctrl in the Windows versions of the Affinity apps, and Ctrl (^) on a Mac is currently* achieved via simultaneously left-clicking and right-clicking.

________

*I hope they change this. On my laptop, I can't click both 'mouse' buttons at the same time unless I have my trackball plugged in.

YAAAAAY!!! Thank you, Toltec and Alfred.  Will take a little while for my brain and fingers to learn the pattern, but I'll get there.  So grateful.