You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nothing drawn on the canvas

Since yesterday, for no reason I can find, the canvas area is always black. I can select things, see their outlines when selected, move things about and even change their color (although I can't confirm that it actually happened), because the canvas area shows nothing.

This happens for a new document and when opening documents.

Below is a screen shot with things selected on the canvas.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-23%20at%2014.35.

• Staff

Hello thorri,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Can you please try to reset the app and check if the problem persists?

To reset Affinity Designer press ctrl and click on its icon in Launchpad (or right click the icon in the Applications Folder, select open while pressing ctrl). Note this will reset any customizations you may have made to the application.

If it still doesn't work can you try to open the same file using a diferent user account on your system?

This happened again this morning, and took me until now (13:45) to fix. I think I know what's causing this.

After rebooting, rebooting in safe mode, trashing references, and opening the app holding down the ctrl key, I opened the "Mission control" and deleted all extra desktops, leaving only one.

Problem solved.

This may be a bug.

PS. This also happens to me with Pixelmator (nothing drawn on the canvas when more than one desktop is available). I am inclined to think my hardware (old old) is at fault, but who knows (not me).

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I opened a banner I made outside of Designer and wanted to create an icon off from the banner, then drag it over, but my drawings are invisible...  example attached.  Is there a way to see creations off the print artwork?  The reset did not change it..

Thank You!

post-10788-0-25290300-1430512583_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Jackflash,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Your issue seems different from @thorri.

Currently you can't use the area around your document (the Pasteboard area) to place objects - they disappear. This is a know limitation that will be solved soon. Check our roadmap for more information on what's coming.

Meanwhile you can change the document size in File ▹ Document Setup... dialog to get some space around the banner for work. I case you need to export the just the banner (not he whole document) go to File ▹ Export choose Selection with (or without) background from the drop down on the bottom left of the Export dialog and you're done. If you keep all your banner elements under the same layer or group you can easily select and export it independently from the other objetcs on your document.